Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 3 mag release question

SGT_Schultz

The OEM extended Mag Catches (part numbers 1035 and 1931) both stick OUT a good ways, but aren't you really looking for one that comes BACK a bit?  Too much "out" is a point of diminishing return, as you'll accidentally release the mag on table starts....

In the aftermarket, Carver makes a good one with a large paddle.  GlockStore has one that is reminiscent of the T.H.E. Accessories unit.  Ghost also makes one with a large paddle that is all-plastic.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2021 at 3:41 PM, Braxton1 said:

Too much "out" is a point of diminishing return, as you'll accidentally release the mag on table starts....

Huh, didn't think of that.  Ended up installing a Lone Wolf large frame extended release which stuck out a mile on my 17.  So I started trimming it down until I got it just a hair longer than the OEM small frame extended release.

Now that I got the slide back from optics cut milling, I'll need to simulate some table starts to see how that goes.

2 hours ago, RePete said:

I have never seen or dropped a mag from a table start. 

The spring is strong enough not to allow the mag release to depress.

I confirmed it so about an hour ago.  The only way the mag releases is if I smash the gun flat against the surface it's on.

• 2 weeks later...