Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you were going to develop/create the ultimate competition pistol.....what would you realistically design...albeit without cost consideration?

wanttolearn

I was thinking a lot about what makes a great competition pistol. I understand that there are a wide variety of platforms and shooting sports....that said, whichever format you prefer, are there parts or design characteristics that you particularly prefer or wish your pistol had?

For myself, I tend to gravitate to a high grip secured in place by both a beavertail and a magwell...it locks my hand in place. I love compensators, maybe it's just the additional weight at the muzzle end, but it feels right to me. I strongly prefer a defined trigger release, a small amount of take-up, a very short reset and a bit of over travel. love decockers and ideally i think i would like a fixed barrel design....less moving parts and perhaps more accurate? A defined indexing point would also be great. Not crazy about rails, lots of windows and holes or sharp edges. It would be cool if it could accommodate different calibers with minor changes.

what do you prefer or wish your pistol had?

Edited by wanttolearn

55 minutes ago, wanttolearn said:

interesting, gas operated like a piston system in an AR or AK? or a delay like a HK P7?

not sure, I'm a few hundred thousand dollars short to do the engineering 🙂 

most likely some sort of locked breach piston operated system but not based any any existing production guns. basically the thought is being able to have a very small reciprocating mass and the ability to adjust the velocity it moves and the springs operating it so everything is at a minimum it would make for a very soft very flat shooting gun, think off the shelf AR15 with a flash hider vs one with a aluminum carrier and light weight buffer and reduced spring with a good comp, they both work and can be shot quickly, but one of them feels like a super loud 22 rimfire.

As it is the 2011 based pistols are pretty darn awesome, they are reasonably durable and reliable, with many off the shelf options to fit most peoples desires, open guns run very flat and soft enough.  

I'm perfectly happy with my custom 2011 Open guns.  If I were going to change anything is would be to 38sc ASSUMING I could buy once fired, fully processed, same head stamp brass for the 5 cents I'm now paying for 9mm.  I would enjoy the extra case capacity.

I have and older DVC-O with the screw in slide racker, I hate that thing. I have a Cheely E2 aluminum grip, not too aggressive and gun came in around 41oz; there was so much that I wanted to do to it including getting a new 38SC barrel with ports and getting a flat trigger. After daydreaming in the infinity gun builder, I finally came up with what I thought was the perfect gun for me and ordered it. It came in this month and I got everything that I wanted to do to my DVC and my Infinity is perfect for me. I love their tall slide racker, the gun is much heavier, I got use to the weight difference in a day and dot sits lower it does on the DVC with an Atlas mount. I love the platform, never had any complaints. 

Everyone here talking about a gas delay system like the P7… while I agree in principle it seems like a cool idea and does awesome stuff for the gun and recoil, the P7 gets HOT around the piston area. I would not want to run that in a high round count match or practice. 

10 hours ago, zdali said:

170mm double stack, double feed magazine and go from there. Possibly some sort of gas delay system...

I've wondered about double feed magazines - and I find it odd that we aren't seeing them. It seems like one of the easier areas for open shooters to try gaining an advantage would be by figuring out creative ways to increase magazine capacity. And I'd imagine double stack/feed would add a couple more rounds.

a trigger that was a button that electronically ignited the primer or released a firing pin. some sort of actuating mechanism that was just a small button push.

a grip made out of reactive material that was softer when you gripped it but firmed up under firing. in a subtle way.

an upper that kept both the barrel and the sights fixed and just reciprocated where needed to feed and extract.

9 hours ago, Barcode1337 said:

I've wondered about double feed magazines - and I find it odd that we aren't seeing them. It seems like one of the easier areas for open shooters to try gaining an advantage would be by figuring out creative ways to increase magazine capacity. And I'd imagine double stack/feed would add a couple more rounds.

Feed ramp geometry would be a right bastard, especially if you insist on feeding flat points. I don't even want to think how you'd handle that on a tilting barrel system...  Pistol cartridges don't have a the luxury of being long and thin. At least the ones allowed in IPSC/USPSA.

3 hours ago, wanttolearn said:

just read about the Laugo pistol....wonder if that will become popular, it seems like it offers some innovative features.

Shot that. It was quite impressive. Not $NZ10K impressive tho. Can confirm their claim that swapping "slides" from irons to optic and keeps the zero. Plus IPSC brought in the reciprocating optic rule for PO specifically because of this gun😉

On 7/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, rowdyb said:

a trigger that was a button that electronically ignited the primer or released a firing pin. some sort of actuating mechanism that was just a small button push.

a grip made out of reactive material that was softer when you gripped it but firmed up under firing. in a subtle way.

an upper that kept both the barrel and the sights fixed and just reciprocated where needed to feed and extract.

Now this is what I call forward thinking

On 6/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, zzt said:

I'm perfectly happy with my custom 2011 Open guns.  If I were going to change anything is would be to 38sc ASSUMING I could buy once fired, fully processed, same head stamp brass for the 5 cents I'm now paying for 9mm.  I would enjoy the extra case capacity

I'm exactly where ZZT is at. Very pleased with my custom built 2011 9MM. Nothing exotic but excellent internals with a Titanium Comp. I would also like to go back to 38sc but the cost of brass caused me to switch to 9MM.

• 4 weeks later...