Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eligible pistol?

Bilbo42

Hi all. Just beginning to see if IDPA is for me. I have a friend who shoots a Sig320Max in other type competitions and I was wondering if it is allowed in IDPA matches? If not, are any Sigs with red dots allowed. Thank you. It looks like an interesting competition!

It should be good to go if you have the 17 round mags, the longer 21's aren't legal.

For a local club match they might let you slide a few times with illegal mags. Worse case they should let you shoot what some places call in NFC (not for competition) or specialty division or something along those lines to indication you're not using legal gear. 

The Box is 6" tall, catalog says gun is 6.8" tall.  Does that include protruding 21 round magazine and/or dot sight?

If the magazine, the 17 shot might be short enough to pass.

If the sight, there is a cutout so the Carry Optic sight can be as tall as you like.

There is not a Concealed Carry Optic division, it is Carry Optic and the gun only has to fit ESP specs with a weight allowance and Box clearance for the sight.

Edited by Jim Watson

16 hours ago, Bilbo42 said:

Where you guys all shoot, does anyone use the SigP320Max? Are they frequent? Does anyone use red dots at all? 

I don't know anyone using the max but lots of guys use 320's. CO is the most popular division in my area in both USPSA and IDPA and the 320 is one of the more popular guns.

Hey. Thank you guys for helping me. Seems like there may be some weight issues with the Max from what I’m reading elsewhere. Not sure! What about the Sig before the Max.. I think it is the Sig P320 X5 Legion with the Romeo 1 Red dot? Do a lot of people use it…with red dot???

4 hours ago, Bilbo42 said:

Hey. Thank you guys for helping me. Seems like there may be some weight issues with the Max from what I’m reading elsewhere. Not sure! What about the Sig before the Max.. I think it is the Sig P320 X5 Legion with the Romeo 1 Red dot? Do a lot of people use it…with red dot???

How much does it weight? From what I've read they are like 43.5 oz? The weight limit for CO is 45 oz.

There is a lot of talk elsewhere about having to remove the mag well and use a smaller capacity mag and some other stuff about the op rod. I was just trying to find someone who uses the Max pistol with the red dot straight out of the box and it regularly passed the eligibility criteria. Same for the Legion with the Romeo red dot.. does it pass as is? Again, thank for helping!!!!

5 hours ago, Bilbo42 said:

Have you downloaded and read the IDPA rulebook yet?

I'd do that before anything else

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Yes, I have. I’m just not sure of some of the specs on the two pistols that a am interested in. That’s why I was interested in finding someone that regularly used either in IDPA matches. I’m was a competitive rifle shooter for some years but just not familiar with these new pistols. Thank you!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use the Max and it makes weight easily, coming in around 43.5 ounces. I've used it at numerous sanctioned matches and it fits the box and meets all the specs. As common as the 320s are for carry optics, nobody gives it a second glance. 

I use the Max exactly as it ships. The magwell fits the box just fine. I've used it at the following IDPA sanctioned matches: Oklahoma state match, Wisconsin state, Illinois state, Michigan state, Night Hawk and will use it this Saturday at the Tri-County Challenge.  No issues nor do I expect any. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jim Watson said:

That simplifies things a lot.

Based on my experience with a 2011 in IDPA ESP, a set of plugged magazines would be a help; I found it easy to lose count and have too many or too few rounds.  

I used to run an Eagle.40 for ESP, and milled the sides of a STI stainless magwell. I haven’t shot it in a while because between my eyes and hands getting bad.

Even though I’m an S.O. every State match I shot with that pistol, I had to prove several times that it fit in the “box”.

I was running a 45 Eagle for CDP for a while too.