Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know where to find primers?

Reloaders generally sneer (being the preppers we generally are) at the toilet paper and paper towel rush but we do the same with all components when a few sniff supply challenges.  Generally most will buy 5k of primers but when perceived calamity happens, buy all in stock.....

Guess we are all human in the end..... 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got caught in the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994. I learned my lesson on stocking. After that, when I needed 5,000 primers, I bought 10,000. If I needed a pound of powder, I bought 8. My friends and I pulled together and bought bullets by the pallet.

We also learned that while that particular piece of legislation prevented purchasing new standard-capacity magazines, it allowed people to rebuild existing magazines through the purchase of tubes, basepads, followers and/or springs. You just couldn't assemble new magazines out of these parts. So, (and this is my story and I'm sticking to it) I 'rebuilt' enough magazines to ensure that I had a sufficient supply for all of my blasters.

This little story isn't going to help you acquire the components you need today, except to say. . .learn the lesson.

==============

**Footnote:  We were at the USPSA's Combined, 'Run What You Brung' Nationals (maybe the last one?) in Quincey, Illinois in 2004. It was Tuesday, the morning of September 14, 2004, the day the AWB was mercifully allowed to expire. As the shooters meeting came to a close, most of the vendors in attendance (STI, SVI, Dave Dawson, Springfield, etc.) started pulling CASES of brand-new normal-capacity magazines out and throwing them up on the tables. It was a helluva celebration.

Powder Valley just got in shipment..

There where gone quickly. I tried checking out a couple of times and their site crashed on me. I do applaud them for letting us know and not jacking up the prices.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Price gouging is starting with the local retail stores now.  A box of CCI small rifle primers that I use to pay $28.00/1000 are going for $42.00/1000 at the local sporting good store.  Unfortunately in the current climate that is still a deal since you are not paying hazmat and shipping on top of limiting to customers to 1 box of 1000 when purchasing from online sources.  

Edited by Boomstick303

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Price gouging is starting with the local retail stores now.  A box of CCI small rifle primers that I use to pay $28.00/1000 are going for $42.00/1000 at the local sporting good store.  Unfortunately in the current climate that is still a deal since you are not paying hazmat and shipping on top of limiting to customers to 1 box of 1000 when purchasing from online sources.  

$40-$50 pre 1000 is the reality of the situation right now. I suspect that price is gonna stick when they start coming back into supply. 

the real price gouging is on gunbroker. 

15 hours ago, Rich406 said:

$40-$50 pre 1000 is the reality of the situation right now. I suspect that price is gonna stick when they start coming back into supply. 

the real price gouging is on gunbroker. 

I think I'll be glad to get them for $40-$50 per 1000 over the next year or two.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:26 PM, Rich406 said:

I don't think so.  If you can't buy primers reasonably, you won't be buying powder or bullets either.  It may take two years to straighten out, but it will.

23 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

So far I've had no problem getting powder and bullets.  And that's pretty decent quantities at normal prices.  Primers are a different story.

Same here.  I have bullets and powder enough for all of next year, plus.  Unfortunately I only have 7000 primers left.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, Boomstick303 said:

i don't see that as price-gouging, i see that as the invisible hand of the free market responding as expected. It's pretty much leninist commie-talk to expect sellers to keep the same prices even when demand soars.

I get the 22lr ammo I shoot and some shoot em up 223 and 7.63X39 from what I think is a reputable ammo vendor that offers prime membership. I have been seeing their prices creeping up where as the popular calibers are now going for close to twice what they were pre covid. You can get text notifications for when ammo comes in stock. I am still a little shocked how fast they go from 99+ cases of whatever in stock to being sold out.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, koteris said:

I managed to get a box.  $66.90 to my door......Yikes!  Oh well.

I got two, I think one federal and one CCI. I had like 5 in my cart and it kept telling me they were out of stock until I got down to those two. My first attempt it seemed to crash but looks like it worked the second time. I got a order confirmation email anyway. lol So I ended up about $54 ea. shipped. Not great but in this market that's reasonable.