Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Ammo Reduces Capacity?

At long last my 10mm Steinel ammo came, but trying to load 16 rounds into my mags with Henning extensions is harder than loading 19rds of Fort Scott TUIs. If I hadn't bruised all my fingers to death trying to get that 16th and failing to get the 17th I could probably get a 14th into a standard mag but it's way harder than the 200gr Nosler HPs in there now.

I think I remember seeing stuff like this on YouTube about certain ammo just not fitting as well into mags but never experienced it personally. Is this a thing that happens or is something seriously wrong?

could be the new ammo is a little longer and is not fitting front to back as the stack tips down towards the bottom of the stack? they should all be the same size in diameter so that should not be affecting the magazine stacking

16 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

could be the new ammo is a little longer and is not fitting front to back as the stack tips down towards the bottom of the stack? they should all be the same size in diameter so that should not be affecting the magazine stacking

That might be it, it's not enough I can really see lining the 3 different ammo types but setting a magazine on top of them with the Stienel in the center I can rotate the magazine but not if it's two Steinels with a TUI in the center. The bullets also don't taper much at all, I didn't notice as much with the TUIs since they are completely different bullet types but looking at the 200gr Underwood it's pretty noticeable the difference in taper.