Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 Performance Center CORE Slide Stop


Recommended Posts

I have a 2.0 M&P9 CORE 5" Performance Center gun for USPSA Carry Optics, no complaints. 

 

I recently purchased a FDE 2.0 M&P9 5", and trying to set it up for Production, the same as the Carry Optics gun.

 

What I've notices is that the slide stop on the PC CORE gun is more prominent than the slide stop on the FDE gun. 


Does anyone know where to get a slide stop that is more prominent (sticks out more), like the one on the PC CORE gun?

 

I've disabled the slide stop stay up mechanism on both guns, for the life of me, I can't figure why S&W put that on them. 

 

Here's some pics.

 

Thanks.

 

 

Bob

FDE LEFT SIDE.jpg

FDE RIGHT sIDE.jpg

PC CORE LEFT SIDE.jpg

PC CORE RIGHT SIDE.jpg

Edited by robertg5322
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have both of the guns you mentioned and, indeed, the slide stop on the 5" M&P 2.0 CORE is more prominent than on the older 5" FDE "non-CORE" gun.  Why I don't know but if you contact S&W thay may ber able to supply a replacement.  Frankly, I never noticed the difference until you mentioned it since I never drop the slide using the slide stop.  I always "slingshot" it and I have Springer Precision "slide rackers" on both pistols which makes this easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, being a left handed pistol shooter, the slide stop on the 2.0 guns isn't optimal from the wrong side of the gun since they "corrected" the auto-forward "issue". 

 

Deleting the slide stop detent thingy helps, and the lever I n the PC CORE also helps. 

 

Since I'm using the guns in ISPSA, the slide racker isn't an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I'm left-handed too and I know what you mean about the "wrong side" slide stop.  It is indeed too hard to operate as is.  Springer also makes a T-shaped slide racker that  projects out only a little on both side of the slide and I wonder if it would be unobtrusive enough to qualify for competition.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Yes, I'm left-handed too and I know what you mean about the "wrong side" slide stop.  It is indeed too hard to operate as is.  Springer also makes a T-shaped slide racker that  projects out only a little on both side of the slide and I wonder if it would be unobtrusive enough to qualify for competition.  

Racking the slide isn't my problem, it's trying to have my thumb on the slide stop lever while inserting the magazine so that the act of seating the mag also drops the slide. Pretty easy on the PC CORE gun, not so much on the FDE gun. 

 

An e mail to S&W tomorrow may or may not find me an "extended" slide stop. We'll see...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I also use the slide stop to release the slide, and the stock part on my 2.0 was impossible to operate as a release. The PC has an extended SS (on the left side only which I'm not sure they will sell) and luckily I found two on Ebay. Now I can operate them like my 1911's, I just find it faster than the "slingshot" method.

 

Anyway, failing finding a factory part you "could" get a standard part, heat it with a torch and form it outward and quench it in oil. I did this on my Sig X5 and I find it far easier to use now.

 

So you know if your M&P has the frame safety you have to train to swipe down on the release. If applied poorly (up along the grip then down) you'll engage the frame safety.  Not good in a match.

 

sw_m&p_2.0_40_sxs_m.jpg

Edited by gnappi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gnappi said:

I also use the slide stop to release the slide, and the stock part on my 2.0 was impossible to operate as a release. The PC has an extended SS (on the left side only which I'm not sure they will sell) and luckily I found two on Ebay. Now I can operate them like my 1911's, I just find it faster than the "slingshot" method.

 

Anyway, failing finding a factory part you "could" get a standard part, heat it with a torch and form it outward and quench it in oil. I did this on my Sig X5 and I find it far easier to use now.

 

So you know if your M&P has the frame safety you have to train to swipe down on the release. If applied poorly (up along the grip then down) you'll engage the frame safety.  Not good in a match.

 

sw_m&p_2.0_40_sxs_m.jpg

Being as I'm left handed with pistols, that slide stop wouldn't do much for me.

 

S&W won't sell the PC extended slide stop, not sure what their deal is. Maybe time to check fleabay for to see if there's a right side extended unit or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hlsccsfa said:

The extended slide stop/release is a new enhancement only available on 2.0 PC models. I called S&W and was told they don't sell this part alone

Bummer, then I'm happy I found the two that I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, hlsccsfa said:

The extended slide stop/release is a new enhancement only available on 2.0 PC models. I called S&W and was told they don't sell this part alone

It's not limited to PC models.  I just bought a M&P9 2.0 CORE Compact (4" barrel). It is not a PC gun but does have the extended slide stop tabs on both sides. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

It's not limited to PC models.  I just bought a M&P9 2.0 CORE Compact (4" barrel). It is not a PC gun but does have the extended slide stop tabs on both sides. 

Not limited to PC guns, but they won't sell it to you without it being on a gun. Which seems a bit weird to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

One of the things I try not to do in matches is empty an M&P 2.0 in the middle of a course of fire, as it requires a slide manipulation to get it to run again after reloading.
Today my CORE 2.0 autoforwarded while I was changing mags between firing positions, which to me is a huge bonus (have just transitioned from shooting a Shadow 2). It is not the first time that the gun has autoforwarded during a reload, but I haven't conducted a serious study to see whether it's consistent enough to call it a feature.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lior said:

One of the things I try not to do in matches is empty an M&P 2.0 in the middle of a course of fire, as it requires a slide manipulation to get it to run again after reloading.
Today my CORE 2.0 autoforwarded while I was changing mags between firing positions, which to me is a huge bonus (have just transitioned from shooting a Shadow 2). It is not the first time that the gun has autoforwarded during a reload, but I haven't conducted a serious study to see whether it's consistent enough to call it a feature.

 

Interesting.

 

Did you alter the slide stop detent mechanism, or did it auto-forward despite the presence of the detent?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Interesting.

 

Did you alter the slide stop detent mechanism, or did it auto-forward despite the presence of the detent?

The latter. Gun has 600 rounds through it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lior said:

The latter. Gun has 600 rounds through it.

Well, if it becomes some sort of regular, that would be nice. The one feature of the original M&Ps I truly miss is the auto-forward. 

 

I removed the detent and springs from mine, and did some polishing/sanding/recontouring/radiusing of the slide stop edge where it catches the slide just to see if I could get the auto-forward feature back. 

 

So far results are mixed. But at the very least, the slide stop levers can be used from either side of the gun to send the slide forward much easier than if the detent was still in place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 9:39 PM, robertg5322 said:

Well, if it becomes some sort of regular, that would be nice. The one feature of the original M&Ps I truly miss is the auto-forward. 

 

I removed the detent and springs from mine, and did some polishing/sanding/recontouring/radiusing of the slide stop edge where it catches the slide just to see if I could get the auto-forward feature back. 

 

So far results are mixed. But at the very least, the slide stop levers can be used from either side of the gun to send the slide forward much easier than if the detent was still in place. 

So after gaining more experience on this firearm, auto-forwarding is too rare to rely upon in any match. It's a matter of not running the gun dry or having ample time to slingshot it before reaching one's next firing position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...