Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning cmore rts contacts

jstagn

Thanks Sarge, that’s what I was thinking, but don’t want to snag on anything inside. May try a cleaning patch or two, soak in alcohol and insert and pull out gently? 

Not specifically on red dots but on all kinds of electronic connectors/connections.   It's good stuff.  $$$$$ but I think worth it.   

I would not hesitate to use it (sparingly, don't glob it on) on battery contacts on red dot sights when needed. 

Is alcohol a good thing with electronics?  Just after I started using alcohol wipes on my custom sound gear ear plugs one died.  Thankfully with one month left of warranty.  Stopped using the wipes and they are still fine.

50 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Is alcohol a good thing with electronics?  Just after I started using alcohol wipes on my custom sound gear ear plugs one died.  Thankfully with one month left of warranty.  Stopped using the wipes and they are still fine.

If that's all I had and the need was urgent.   I'd much prefer a good plastic safe contact cleaner from CRC or the like.   

I think the Cramolin/Caig product is the best though.   

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

Common, medicinal-grade isopropanol alcohol is labeled as ~70%. It has other stuff like oils for your skin, etc., that lowers the 'purity' level. It's not recommended for circuitry. The grade most used by pros to clean things like electrical/electronics contacts is about ~91% purity. If you have that , go for it. Be mindful of letting everything dry thoroughly before reinserting batteries, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, NETim said:

If that's all I had and the need was urgent.   I'd much prefer a good plastic safe contact cleaner from CRC or the like.   

I think the Cramolin/Caig product is the best though.   

+1 on the Cramolin/Caig products. Used it for 35 years on electric communication equipment and it was better than any of the other contact cleaners by a large margin.