Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide Rods

Drillbit

Is there any difference, other then the obvious, in a captured verses a non captured guide rod.  Any advantage,  disadvantages? 

Is one any better then the other? 

I'm wanting to try some lighter springs in a M&P 2.0 9mm.

Edited by Drillbit

8 hours ago, Drillbit said:

Is there any difference, other then the obvious, in a captured verses a non captured guide rod.  Any advantage,  disadvantages? 

Is one any better then the other? 

I'm wanting to try some lighter springs in a M&P 2.0 9mm.

Other than making spring changes easier, there is no difference.

Another question.

Why would S&W use a guide rod that is clearly more expensive, and maybe more labor intensive then a non captured one.    

Not trying to shade anyone, just a question.

I'm going to give the Wolf non captured a try.  I'm thinking 14# spring to start.  I shoot some factory, but mostly reloads.  Sound ok?

Edited by Drillbit

3 hours ago, Drillbit said:

Anyone?

Most likely because 99.99% of gun owners don't know how to take a gun apart with an uncaptured gr.  It is easier to clean and take apart and they are not changing recoils springs either.  Also prob less liability of a spring flying out.  just my guess.

Edited by echotango

On 6/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, echotango said:

Most likely because 99.99% of gun owners don't know how to take a gun apart with an uncaptured gr.  It is easier to clean and take apart and they are not changing recoils springs either.  Also prob less liability of a spring flying out.  just my guess.

I have to agree on this.

An uncaptured guide rod in the M&P is a freaking nightmare to install.   For some reason I thought it would be something like the 1911.   I thought wrong.

I will be shopping springs for the original guide rod, a much better setup in my experience. 

Edited by Drillbit

2 hours ago, Drillbit said:

I have to agree on this.

An uncaptured guide rod in the M&P is a freaking nightmare to install.   For some reason I thought it would be something like the 1911.   I thought wrong.

I will be shopping springs for the original guide rod, a much better setup in my experience. 

I think I'd rather wrestle an uncaptured rod into an M&P than a GI rod into a 1911 though.  

On 7/5/2021 at 7:53 PM, NETim said:

I think I'd rather wrestle an uncaptured rod into an M&P than a GI rod into a 1911 though.  

The hardest part on the M&P is compressing the spring.. There's no support for the spring until you get the guide rod pushed all the way into the spring.  Not so on a 1911.

• 2 weeks later...