Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Gallant .308 bullets

NOSHMJ

So I waited 7 months for an order of .308 bullets from Gallant.  They were supposed to be 217 grn, and I planned on using them for .300 Blk subs.  Sadly, when I recieved them, they were 225 grn, which was fine, but they would shave lead off onto the brass case as I was seating them.  I measured them to be .310 in diameter.  I then used a Lee .308 lead sizer die and still had the same issue.  I  am figuring it is the coating they used.  Anyone else have this issue with these, or did I just get a bad batch???

..Update..   So I grabbed a Lee Universal Case Expanding die and it worked perfect.  Next issue is now I am forced to seat the Gallant bullets deeper than Id like to because of the bullet profile. They will be subs, so I feel shorter seating depth will be fine.  They are sitting at 2.215 instead of 2.250.  

3 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

..Update..   So I grabbed a Lee Universal Case Expanding die and it worked perfect.  Next issue is now I am forced to seat the Gallant bullets deeper than Id like to because of the bullet profile. They will be subs, so I feel shorter seating depth will be fine.  They are sitting at 2.215 instead of 2.250.  

For rifle I would use this expander plug from NOE with you Lee Uni die:

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/expanders/expander-plug-rifle/313-x-309-exp-plug/

It will give you ample neck tension for .310 and expand the top to .314 to prevent scraping. And don't forget to use a "taper" crimp die and not a roll crimp. Roll crimp will cause stripping of the coating and subsequent leading of your barrel.

NOE is the goto plan for expander plugs.