Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Gen3 vs Gen5 chrono differences…

Cuz

Has anyone else noticed a significant drop in velocity chronographing their Gen3 and Gen5 Glocks?  I have a Gen3 and Gen5 Glock 34, and the Gen5 is about 4-5 PF below the Gen3. That’s about 30-40 FPS with 124gr Bullets. My Gen3 G17 is consistently between the two G34s. Not sure if it’s the Gen5 rifling that is causing lower velocities or not. Just figured I’d ask. 

• 2 weeks later...

My gen5 is way slower than my Gen 3s. Same ammo, Gen 5 will Chrono 128pf and I’m at 135-137 in my Gen 3 G34 and wife Gen 4 G17 chrono at 135+ as well. I chrono around 130 with my KKM barrel in Gen 3 G34 as well. 

Looks like you’re seeing an even bigger difference than me. 
the load I’m going to use for the next few thousand rounds chronos at:

STI 5.0 Eagle: 131

Gen5 G34: 132

Gen3 G17: 133

Gen3 G34: 135

Ruger PCC: 147

They are not as far apart as some other loads I’ve tested. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, rpm8300 said:

I see about a 15fps drop between my Gen 4 G34 and my Gen 5.  That being said, with Blues and Molys, both guns are about 30 fps faster than non-Glock counterparts, i.e. CZ and Tanfo.

Interesting, I’ll have to remember to bring my Gen4 G17 next time to see where that chronos. Seems like you also support the results I am getting with regard to non Glocks. 

On 7/14/2021 at 11:35 AM, Cuz said:

Interesting, I’ll have to remember to bring my Gen4 G17 next time to see where that chronos. Seems like you also support the results I am getting with regard to non Glocks. 

Hey partner - My CZ 1 barrel is the slowest of a bunch of guns I run minor through, while Glocks are the fastest.  On that note, the Glock isn't as accurate with the really fast powders - I actually like N310 which is super fast, and Titegroup which is a little slower but still really fast.