Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movement tips, Running while keeping both hands on the gun, especially from right to left

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys, 

I am getting to a point in uspsa where the number one thing holding me back is my movement. My accuracy, draw, And reloads are all pretty respectable but my movement needs work. I am trying to keep both hands on the gun basically unless im going in to a full gate. I am right handed btw. When moving left to right it's easy to not break the 180 but I notice practicing at home I have to rotate my hips alot more when running right to left. It seems to me the most comfortable method and the method that keeps my gun the farthest from the 180 is to rotate the gun so the side of my slide is parallel with the ground allowing me to angle my wrists back away from the 180.

Is this an appropriate/useful method? Is there a better method? Do you know of any videos that may be useful to me improving here?

I would appreciate any and all movement advice you can offer me. I am currently C class and have been shooting USPSA for a few months, I feel like if I can get my speed up a little more B class is within reach.

Thanks alot for any advice!

Edited by Bunnies4r5

On 6/25/2021 at 4:27 AM, Bunnies4r5 said:

Hey guys, 

I am getting to a point in uspsa where the number one thing holding me back is my movement. My accuracy, draw, And reloads are all pretty respectable but my movement needs work. I am trying to keep both hands on the gun basically unless im going in to a full gate. I am right handed btw. When moving left to right it's easy to not break the 180 but I notice practicing at home I have to rotate my hips alot more when running right to left. It seems to me the most comfortable method and the method that keeps my gun the farthest from the 180 is to rotate the gun so the side of my slide is parallel with the ground allowing me to angle my wrists back away from the 180.

Is this an appropriate/useful method? Is there a better method? Do you know of any videos that may be useful to me improving here?

I would appreciate any and all movement advice you can offer me. I am currently C class and have been shooting USPSA for a few months, I feel like if I can get my speed up a little more B class is within reach.

Thanks alot for any advice!

Hi, check out the videos on my YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/IPSCUSPSATrainingTechniquesTipsandShootersChannel/videos

• 2 weeks later...

Hey partner, on my Instagram I have a few videos to help with the discussion thomas_koh_usar_cmp  - breaking down partially, fully, etc, is a matter of efficiency.  Since every transition is different, its hard to use a general rule.  For R to L transitions with a pistol for a R handed shooter, if you have more than 1 step, not the USPSA make ready fake step people take, but both feet coming off the ground and touching again, it is generally good to break down and release.  The fractions of a second that add up for situations you describe is building the grip back efficiently so your on the trigger as soon as possible in the new position.  Look at your videos and see if the gun is up prior to the window of shot opportunity opening.

In my opinion, if the distance between positions is more than a couple steps it will be slower to run with both hands on the gun.  You should check it on a timer at different distances but I'll bet you'll find it best to just run with the gun only in your primary hand and just raise and regrip as you enter the next position.  Regripping as you enter a position doesn't cost you any extra time and shouldn't cost you any accuracy if you practice it a bit.  On the other hand, running with both hands on the gun will definitely slow you down and the time difference will be magnified as the distance increases.

• 10 months later...
20 hours ago, smfort said:

I try to keep my gun up walking, running (well my very slow version of running), "shuffling", side stepping, etc...just keep the gun up during the whole stage.   

If it's a long distance to the next target/array you need to lower the gun, and sometimes hold in one hand only, to use your hands to help your body move fast to the next target/array.  Then get the gun up while coming into position a couple steps before time to shoot.

If it's a long distance to the next target/array you need to lower the gun, and sometimes hold in one hand only, to use your hands to help your body move fast to the next target/array.  Then get the gun up while coming into position a couple steps before time to shoot.

Thanks!!!!