Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A - Zone steel vs paper target for training

Rvajma

Any thoughts on using A-Zone steel targets instead of just paper targets while training?  Any pros or cons?  Would the audible confirmation of hits be detrimental instead of shot calling? I am currently a B class Open shooter (2yrs in USPSA).  Most training has been dry fire and local matches, but now have access to a range where I can set up movement drills.  Thanks for any thoughts.

I would rather use steel. Not for the ring because if you hear the ring it's already too late. You're behind!

Shot calling is problematic because you can see the strikes easily. 

Steel is easier to set up, maintain (no tape, just paint) and can be shot at 7 yds. (I know! Many recommend 10 yds or even further. Steel Challenge has them at 7. So do I.) You can even use an 8" plate (or smaller. I have then down to 4") to replicate an A zone or smaller target. Put cardboard behind overlapping to find your "miss zone".

Steel is just the easier way to go for me.

YMMV

I strongly prefer paper over steel because it keeps you honest of where each shot is. If you're worried about using a lot of tape just tape any C or D hit every other run as long as you keep yourself honest where your sights are the moment before each shot breaks. The C and D zones also help to indicate what you might be doing as each shot occurs.

That being said, any targets beyond 20 yards can be steel to not have to walk as far for reset and just paint every 5 runs or so, taking note of how close to center or edge you are hitting

Edited by TheChewycookie

One thing that's been a training scar for me in the past is that if I'm training on WHITE A zone/USPSA targets it's training me to shoot white targets. Never actually burned me at a match but came close. I started using some light tan paint when shooting that type of steel and all is good. 

I will use steel pretty much only in a few instances, much preferring the greater information of paper targets and the fact they are also 90% of the targets we shoot in a match.

I will use steel for close in speed based stuff like Bill drill or 4Aces. I will use the plate rack. I will use steel if it is raining and I hhhaavvee to shoot. Other than that, I feel steel just feeds a laziness. Sorry.

Interesting.

99% of what I shoot is steel. SC and falling plate events. Bowling pins too. 

Good thing we can shoot whatever we want to huh?

I guess you are trying to say that steel shooters are lazy?

I don't agree.

Besides how is laziness to prosper if we don't feed it?

Signed

A retired State worker...

Not a personal laziness, but more of what can be derived from my shots. Steel is binary whereas paper has a gradiation.

If most the matches you shoot are simply scored hit or miss then steel would be excellent.