Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited/standard division slide weight

Jasonub

I tried searching but we all know that we should lighten our slide as much as we can to lessen felt recoil. 

There seems to be no general rule on what our slides should weigh.

What's the lightest slide out there on limited or standard division without compromising durability?

I have an infinity factory lightened slide and its 349 grams with front and rear sights .

What do you guys have? 

20210620_185825.jpg

That is not an island barrel slide right? 

I have been trying to find data too. 

Here are a couple of my slides. 

All slides have the extractor and firing pins, firing pin spring and fps fitted. 

Trojan slide. Bomar sights with corresponding cut. Flat topped. Bit of grip tape. 

trojan.jpg

STI lawman slide which isnt flat topped compared to the trojan slide. TAS Sights and the same front sight as above. 

Lawman slide no flat top.jpg

Edited by dansedgli

23 minutes ago, Jasonub said:

I tried searching but we all know that we should lighten our slide as much as we can to lessen felt recoil. 

There seems to be no general rule on what our slides should weigh.

What's the lightest slide out there on limited or standard division without compromising durability?

I have an infinity factory lightened slide and its 349 grams with front and rear sights .

What do you guys have? 

20210620_185825.jpg

10.5 ounces with nothing in or on the slide. You will not lessen felt recoil lightening the slide. Rather, the sights will return faster as slide cycles with more speed.

For less felt recoil switch to a heavier bullet with faster powder. Gun may be more snappy but you will feel less in the hand

Yes that's what I'm going for.  Thanks.  Anyone have a Brazos slide for limited?

1 hour ago, Rnlinebacker said:

10.5 ounces with nothing in or on the slide. You will not lessen felt recoil lightening the slide. Rather, the sights will return faster as slide cycles with more speed.

For less felt recoil switch to a heavier bullet with faster powder. Gun may be more snappy but you will feel less in the hand

Yes thanks that's what Im going for.  Anyone have a Brazos limited slide? 

Lightening the slide, within limits, reduces reciprocating mass.  That is a good thing.  Whether the sights return more quickly is another matter.  If you didn't put a heavier recoil spring in, muzzle lift will be greater and sights will slower to return.

Using a heavier slug with a fast powder slows everything down so the recoil impulse is spread out over a longer period.  It does not make the sights return faster.  It does the opposite.  For example, when I shot Limited I bowed to conventional wisdom land loaded 180 gr bullets over e3 powder.  I shot that load for years.  The last year I shot Limited I switched to 165 gr and found it shot flatter and splits were better, at the expense of a harder hit to the hand.

Another example:  a friend shot SS major and complained about his splits.  He was shooting 230 gr bullets.  His muzzle was sky high after each shot.  We finally convinced him to try 185 gr bullets.  He did and was amazed at the difference.  He shoots 185s now.

In this side of the globe, the Philippines, we use heavy standard pistols with light slides and light springs.

For bullets its generally heavy heads that make major. So for 40 its minimum 180 gr and usually its 200 gr.

My STI slide after tri top and a few other cuts is 10.5oz with sights. I shoot 200gn bullets right at 165pf. For me I can only shoot an entire match at major PF if I spead the recoil out and get it as soft as I can. I have some issues with my arms and while I can shoot major all day I regret it. 

These are the only oics I have currently. Noting super special really. On the top we milled it out like the sides. Also did some internal lightening cuts. Basicly two lines going from slightly after locking lugs to the spring tunnel. I have around 15k rounds through it and its held up. It's the first time we have done internal lightening and since it's a test gun of sorts it's not the prettiest gun out there but it runs 100%. Only thing I'd do different if I was to do it again was cut out some of the spring tunnel as well. And maybe a little less internal milling. 

20200918_154856.jpg

20200918_154811.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 1:45 AM, Bakerjd said:

These are the only oics I have currently. Noting super special really. On the top we milled it out like the sides. Also did some internal lightening cuts. Basicly two lines going from slightly after locking lugs to the spring tunnel. I have around 15k rounds through it and its held up. It's the first time we have done internal lightening and since it's a test gun of sorts it's not the prettiest gun out there but it runs 100%. Only thing I'd do different if I was to do it again was cut out some of the spring tunnel as well. And maybe a little less internal milling. 

20200918_154856.jpg

On 6/23/2021 at 1:45 AM, Bakerjd said:

20200918_154856.jpg

20200918_154811.jpg

That looks amazing!