Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY GX VICE Holster

Degnan

My gun fell out of my holster when I tripped at a match.  Motivated me to look into the GX Holster that I have heard such good things about, but I didn't what to shell out the money for another holster.  Instead I installed a bike clamp into my Boss holster from benstoegerproshop.com.

The bike clamp works well, and the price was right at $7.  If I was doing it again I would try to find a smaller lever. 

Link to bike clamp

image.png

image.png

KIPP makes a cam handle that fits. It's what I use on my home made kydex holsters. I've seen these long before GX was using them but I think they were the first to mainstream it.

I think this is the one I have:

https://www.sustainablesupply.com/products/kipp-cam-handle-int-threads-2-5-16inx18mm-04232-05011ae-c1472470

12 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

KIPP makes a cam handle that fits. It's what I use on my home made kydex holsters. I've seen these long before GX was using them but I think they were the first to mainstream it.

I think this is the one I have:

https://www.sustainablesupply.com/products/kipp-cam-handle-int-threads-2-5-16inx18mm-04232-05011ae-c1472470

Nice find!  The KIPP cam handle is about half the length of the bike one I am using.  That seems to be a great size. 

Edited by Degnan

21 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Yeah but you guys are missing the cool magnet to hold the handle up.  That's gotta be worth some moolah.

Nothing a little JB weld and some magnets off Amazon can't fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, that’s pretty slick. I ordered a similar one from Amazon to try. The one thing I found is that the nut on the non-clamp side of the holster tends to loosen up, so I would probably look into something to hold that into place.

That being said, I think I’m going to order a couple of those Kipp levers and see what I can do there.

28 minutes ago, skippyaz said:

Hey, that’s pretty slick. I ordered a similar one from Amazon to try. The one thing I found is that the nut on the non-clamp side of the holster tends to loosen up, so I would probably look into something to hold that into place.

That being said, I think I’m going to order a couple of those Kipp levers and see what I can do there.

I used locktite on mine and it's holding fine. I used a post screw to a T nuts and it's been holding up fine.

I received a couple of those Kipp levers. What have you guys used for the external screw? The thread is 8/32, but all my machine screws have a head that’s too big. I’ll check Ace Hardware to see what else they have.

Edit: Ace had a 1” set screw that looks like it will work. I assembled it, but everything seems kind of loose. Would you guys be so kind as to describe/show your setup?

Edited by skippyaz

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

Nothing a little JB weld and some magnets off Amazon can't fix.

You would have to find a steel lever and not aluminum, which all that have been presented here seem to be aluminum.

I got mine off of Grainger.com

Clamp.jpg