Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Stage do you like to start on going to a major match ?

PeterParfinik

Went to a larger away match with friends one time and was told to sign up for a specific squad / stage.  (obviously to also shoot together)  When I looked at the match we were starting on Accelerator. At the time, I asked one of the top shooters in our group why are we starting there?  Is that your best stage ?  His response was; No, we will be closer to the parking lot when the match is over.

What stage do you like to start on and why, Does it even matter ?  Are you throw off if the match director changes the squads and starting stage when you get there ?

Only 1 Range that has 2 Stages down a 300 yard long gravel hill, about a 75' drop. If we get on Stage 7 then we go up and down the hill twice and end on Stage 6 at the bottom of the hill, again. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter, bring it on. It's the mental prepping I'll be doing days before and on the trip to the Match that I get my mindset collected. Closer to parking?, sure, that's always good to go. 🙂

7 hours ago, PeterParfinik said:

Went to a larger away match with friends one time and was told to sign up for a specific squad / stage.  (obviously to also shoot together)  When I looked at the match we were starting on Accelerator. At the time, I asked one of the top shooters in our group why are we starting there?  Is that your best stage ?  His response was; No, we will be closer to the parking lot when the match is over.

What stage do you like to start on and why, Does it even matter ?  Are you throw off if the match director changes the squads and starting stage when you get there ?

Given a choice, I don't want to start on Smoke & Hope, Roundabout, or Showdown.  They are the fast stages, and I'm generally not at my fastest on my first stage of the day.  (Also, if I shoot Smoke & Hope first, I tend to forget to aim enough on the next stage.  😕 )

I can start anywhere else, though I'd also PREFER not to start on Outer Limits.

Out of all of them, I like starting on Accelerator most.  Requires aim and trigger control, but not as much as Outer Limits, Pendulum, or 5 To Go.  :)

12 hours ago, PeterParfinik said:

Currently starting on Speed Option when it is available as my cold string times are closer to my peak times than the other stages at this time.  Five To Go and Accelerator are also on the list depending on what stages are available at the match.  Like Thomas, I feel like it helps to have a few stages under my belt before taking on the faster stages.  But, my local matches move squads around enough that I am use to not starting on the stage I signed up on.  

I do think it matters enough to put some effort into finding out if you do better starting on certain stages.  As an example, at WSSC the person one place above me edged me out by 0.03 seconds and the person directly below me was only 0.01 seconds away.  Seeing as how these three spots where only separated by 0.04 seconds, I'll take every advantage I can get.  

Have never given this a thought when registering for a shoot. Now I will, I don't like starting on smoke n hope. As I'm slow and old I need to build up what little speed I have ha ha. Thanks for the tip

I generally look for the starting point that has the least amount of backtracking and walking.  For example, at WSSC I like to start on 5 to Go since it lets me go straight down the line. 

• 1 month later...

As the odd man out here, I tend to like Smoke & Hope as the starter as it gets my body moving fast early on with a good margin for error.

We've had some real complaints from local shooters when they get moved to something other than their preferred starting stage.

It really doesn't matter to me, but S&H is my goto starter when available.

AD

Like mentioned earlier, it's about the parking situation.  If you are shooting multiple guns and 2 sessions, that can take a lot out of you by the end of the day.  Already have done enough walking for the day, I'm ready to pack up and get out of there.  

• 2 weeks later...