Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W627 Trigger Weight

Did a search but didn’t find what I was looking for.

Has anyone played around with what the lowest trigger weight is to reliably set off Federal primers (SPP)? The reason I ask is I decided to reduce the trigger weight from 8lbs to 6lbs and I was getting about 20-30% light strikes. All I did was back out the strain screw one turn. Half a turn equaled about 1 pound. I know thats not the best thing to do but I’m thinking of installing a Apex hammer kit and re-polishing up the internals. It’s been a long time since I’ve detailed stripped, cleaned and polished up the internals. Currently running the stock hammer.

Since I was at a fun steel match I didn’t have time to play with it. Just curious if anybody has some experience. I will say something in the 6-6.5lb range might be worth doing. At 8lbs since its very smooth I don't really notice it in match conditions. Last night I felt my splits were faster at 6lbs but with light strikes it was hard to tell. Not to mention since I was late to the match I stepped to the line to find my red dot battery was dead. Kentucky windage was all I had time for, lol. I then changed batteries, re-set the strain screw and cleaned the C-More glass all was good again.

So will a bobbed hammer strike harder than a stock hammer if both were set at a 6 lb trigger pull?

I set this 627 up over 20 years ago and don’t remember what springs I used. Too many revolvers and I’m beginning to suffer from CRS!

First off, you can't get a reliable number from pulling the trigger. That includes a lot of variables, the main one being the rebound spring. You need to hook the trigger pull gage on the hammer, while holding the trigger back, let it down gently, then see what the reading is just as the hook on the gage comes off the frame. Then you will have a repeatable way of measuring just the spring tension on the hammer. On my 627s, I'm getting reliable ignition around 32 ounces, measured as above.

The best way to get the lightest pull is to start around 24 oz. and raise the level 1/8 turn at a time (about 4 oz.) until you are getting 100% reliable. You need to have low or med. strength Loctite (#222 or #242) on the screw before you do this, so it will stay where you leave it. Once you have that, put in the lightest rebound spring that works like you want it to, and that's your lightest reliable action. You can also measure the trigger pull weight on just the rebound spring with the hammer out. It will be somewhere between 2 and 4 pounds, depending on what spring is in there.

Edited by Toolguy

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

First off, you can't get a reliable number from pulling the trigger. That includes a lot of variables, the main one being the rebound spring. You need to hook the trigger pull gage on the hammer, while holding the trigger back, let it down gently, then see what the reading is just as the hook on the gage comes off the frame. Then you will have a repeatable way of measuring just the spring tension on the hammer. On my 627s, I'm getting reliable ignition around 32 ounces, measured as above.

The best way to get the lightest pull is to start around 24 oz. and raise the level 1/8 turn at a time (about 4 oz.) until you are getting 100% reliable. You need to have low or med. strength Loctite (#222 or #242) on the screw before you do this, so it will stay where you leave it. Once you have that, put in the lightest rebound spring that works like you want it to, and that's your lightest reliable action. You can also measure the trigger pull weight on just the rebound spring with the hammer out. It will be somewhere between 2 and 4 pounds, depending on what spring is in there.

Thanks interesting stuff. I will do that too see what I come up with. As mentioned I don’t remember what I did in terms of springs for this set up. Measuring the trigger the gauge read 8 to 8.2lbs but it doesn’t feel that heavy maybe due to what you mentioned. 

Edit:

Holding the trigger back with the hammer back and measuring hammer spring tension or the break over point, I’m getting around 48-50ozs (apron 3lbs). Thinking these may even be the stock springs. Funny I remember the 5 other revolver set ups but not this one. Thinking its time to go with competition springs and a bobbed hammer. Just do’nt want to go down an endless rabbit hole. I think 6-7 pounds would be fine.

I’ll need to get some range time in and do some work from there.

Edited by rwmagnus

I'm no gunsmith but I installed the Apex evolution trigger in my V Comp and trigger pull is 5.5 pounds with 100% liability with Federal primers.. Also trigger return is very good for me.

Edited by old558

16 minutes ago, old558 said:

I'm no gunsmith but I installed the Apex evolution trigger in my V Comp and trigger pull is 5.5 pounds with 100% liability with Federal primers.. Also trigger return is very good for me.

Thanks thats what I have as well a V-Comp. Pretty sure this is the way I’m going to go. ‘’I

I’m no gunsmith either but doing an action job on a Smith isn’t that difficult. The more complicated stuff I leave to the professionals.

First make sure you're seating the Federal Primers to .006 to .010" depth.

Short version I found that TK's hammer, lightest available from a manufacturer, resulted in dropping the action weight pull about 1/2 to 3/4 lbs.  

But 6 lbs is easily doable on your own.

I'll send you a spread sheet I have on my tests.

Then check out this thread, if you read deep enough into it we cover everything from how to weigh hammers, trigger weights.

Edited by pskys2

14 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Also, make sure your firing pin is .495 or longer. A short firing pin requires a harder hammer fall.

Good call. I bought my evo trigger kit from Apex and it came with the extended firing pin.

Toolguy gave  you the best information on trigger pull and what is needed.  I've seen Apex jobs down to 3 3/4 pounds that work 100%. Vic Picket's gun was set up that way.  To work it right you better spend hours dry firing to get your finger off the trigger because the biggest problem is the trigger return.  

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Toolguy gave  you the best information on trigger pull and what is needed.  I've seen Apex jobs down to 3 3/4 pounds that work 100%. Vic Picket's gun was set up that way.  To work it right you better spend hours dry firing to get your finger off the trigger because the biggest problem is the trigger return.  

Yep don’t need a 3 or 4 pound trigger. I miss Vic and “The Chicken”. Very cool guy. He kinda took me (and everyone else) under his wing when I was a newbie. I think most round gun shooters would agree with you on a solid rebound return, I sure do. 

Kind of funny but I’ve had this 627 setup stock with about 8lb trigger for decades. I never felt the need to bob the hammer or go in search of the holly grail of triggers. Just a revolver itch I guess. Maybe I have too much time on my hands in retirement!

9 hours ago, rwmagnus said:

Yep don’t need a 3 or 4 pound trigger. I miss Vic and “The Chicken”. Very cool guy. He kinda took me (and everyone else) under his wing when I was a newbie. I think most round gun shooters would agree with you on a solid rebound return, I sure do. 

Kind of funny but I’ve had this 627 setup stock with about 8lb trigger for decades. I never felt the need to bob the hammer or go in search of the holly grail of triggers. Just a revolver itch I guess. Maybe I have too much time on my hands in retirement!

Yep kind of what happened to me and why I went into such detail on that spread sheet test data.  

About the only things one can fiddle with on a Revolver is Sights, Grips and the Action!  And in relation to most of the other platforms it's pretty inexpensive!