Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blind old fart sight questions for G41.

dogtired

I just bought a G41 for heavy metal and am looking at sight options for black rear and FO Front.  Since I can not see the front sight and am shooting optics otherwise, I am looking at choosing perhaps an oversized front FO sight and am looking for ideas.  Henning has a .150 and .180 rear notch and there are many options for front heights and widths thru Dawson.  Just wondering if anyone has played with these options or ideas on optimum sight gaps?  Any help appreciated.

If you have a theory please state it as such, experience preferred.

Edited by dogtired

I am in your boat. Too old to cut the mustard but still licking the jar. I  find that the Dawson adjustable rear with a .110 wide front FO works best for me. The wide rear sights or super narrow front sights cause me to throw shots horizontally. There is just too much room in those extra wide rear sights to be able to place accurate shots. I am at the age that my eyesight is not nearly what it once was and i have done a lot of experimenting to find the best combination for fast accurate shot placement. I shoot with a team that the youngest is 66 and this same arrangement is used by all in the group. We are all over the hill but we still manage to win just about every match that our old creaky team shoots. The youngsters just despise us. If you can't shoot this set-up you may be better off with some kind of optic.

I am probably on the opposite end of the spectrum than most, but I prefer a .125 Dawson front paired with an Ameriglo rear with a .110 notch.  I also use stock height sights.  On my 34/35 which compares to your 41, there is still light on each side.  I also use full lens +1.0  readers.  I don't see any decrease in speed but get much better accuracy.  I think the bigger front actually helps with speed.

I gave up on the sights, and sent my G41 slide to C&H Precision to have them mill it for MOS adapter plates. Not sure what optic I will put on it yet. I have a Burris for now. So I’ll use that until I decide. That’s why I went with MOS cut rather than DMR.