Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1100 new press setup issues.

I am also having a similar issue, 

new machine with only 3-400 rounds though it, noticed the primer tube assembly was a bit loose, when I went to gently snug it down on the machine now the mounting bracket is locking up the primer slide bar, the bracket is pushing down on the slide bar and not allowing the assembly to properly push it forward and backwards when cycling. 

Could this part possibly be out of spec? 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Baseballberger21 said:

new machine with only 3-400 rounds though it, noticed the primer tube assembly was a bit loose, when I went to gently snug it down on the machine now the mounting bracket is locking up the primer slide bar, the bracket is pushing down on the slide bar and not allowing the assembly to properly push it forward and backwards when cycling. 

This thread might help.............

Also take a look here:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl1100-product-videos.html

👍

1 hour ago, Baseballberger21 said:

If the primer slide activating lever mechanism was positioned a little low on the primer tube then when the bolts were snugged up it may have resulted in the activation lever being a hair too low.

If that mechanism is too low then the lever will run into the slide as it moves through its arc of motion.

It should be fairly easy to detect if that is the case.

That thread that @HOGRIDER referred to is good to read also.

Edited by ddc

• 6 months later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but didn't want to start a new thread.  Also, this isn't a new press set up issue, just something I recently ran into with new primers.

I bought these primers from Powder Valley:

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/servicios-aventuras-small-pistol-primers/

First thing I noticed is that they don't like to flip in the flip tray.  It seems the ridge on the cup is almost non existent, not a huge deal but a bit of a pain in the ass. 

The real problem came when trying to run them through the press.  It would feed one or two, then invariably a primer would flip itself vertically into the space on the blue plastic primer feed tip at the end of the primer feed tube.  I've got maybe 15K rounds through the press give or take, so I didn't think that part would be worn, but I swapped it for a new one anyway.  That didn't fix the problem.  I double checked with some CCI's that I have to make sure it wasn't an alignment issue and those fed fine.

I decided to try the primer feed tube from my 650 since it has a brass fitting on the bottom and not that plastic tip and it worked like a charm, as it doesn't allow the next primer anywhere near dropping.

So my question is, why didn't Dillon use the same brass style in the first place?  There must be a reason.  I'll use it this way until I get through this lot of primers, then I'll switch back.

3 hours ago, clw42 said:

So my question is, why didn't Dillon use the same brass style in the first place?  There must be a reason.  I'll use it this way until I get through this lot of primers, then I'll switch back

It’s a safety issue.  The blue plastic tip allows primers to move a bit more when they flip or hang up. Your solid brass tip is more likely to cause primer detonation should one get jammed. 

This subject has been discussed before in other threads. 

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

It’s a safety issue.  The blue plastic tip allows primers to move a bit more when they flip or hang up. Your solid brass tip is more likely to cause primer detonation should one get jammed. 

This subject has been discussed before in other threads. 

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Any other solutions to my issue then that anyone thinks might work?

8 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Any other solutions to my issue then that anyone thinks might work?

As someone that's loaded on XL650s for MANY years, and now have been using the RL1100 for just over two years, I've always been a fanatic about safety!  Especially with the primer systems!  And thank God, I've never had a magazine detonation.

But I was experiencing less that expected performance with the RL1100's priming system flipping and canting primers during reloading.  So, at the recommendation of someone I trust, I decided to try the Photo Escape replacement "brass tips" that fit my 1100 magazine tube just fine!

https://photoescapeinc.com/products/replacement-brass-ends.html

Once I learned how and when to properly clean/maintain the 1100's primer delivery system, I have had ZERO priming issues with the brass tips or any other components as long as I keep the system clean as recommended.

HTHs!

3 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

As someone that's loaded on XL650s for MANY years, and now have been using the RL1100 for just over two years, I've always been a fanatic about safety!  Especially with the primer systems!  And thank God, I've never had a magazine detonation.

But I was experiencing less that expected performance with the RL1100's priming system flipping and canting primers during reloading.  So, at the recommendation of someone I trust, I decided to try the Photo Escape replacement "brass tips" that fit my 1100 magazine tube just fine!

Once I learned how and when to properly clean/maintain the 1100's primer delivery system, I have had ZERO priming issues with the brass tips or any other components as long as I keep the system clean as recommended.

HTHs!

Questions:

1. Did you use the 650 tip or the 750 tip for your 1100?

2. If there was a concern over using the Dillon 650 brass tip on a 1050/1100 is not that concern still valid when using the Photo Escape brass tip?

4 minutes ago, ddc said:

Questions:

1. Did you use the 650 tip or the 750 tip for your 1100?

2. If there was a concern over using the Dillon 650 brass tip on a 1050/1100 is not that concern still valid when using the Photo Escape brass tip?

@ddc

My understanding is the PE tips are strictly for the XL750.  There's also comments that they work on the 550 and 1050 machines:

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1739

I've been using the SP end for quiet some time, and IIRC, it was a perfect fit and didn't alter the OAL of the primer magazine tube.  Not familiar with the XL750; but it appears Dillon did make a different end and/or tube diameter for that machine.

I've studied the plastic tip that comes with the 1100; and have yet to figure out the reason it's preferred over a metal tip unless the plastic will actually "flex/give" if retracting a primer that's not fully seated flush in the primer slide..........

🤔

6 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

HTHs!

Thanks for this!

I did have another replacement tip in my stash of spare parts so I replaced it with another one and loaded 100 without a problem.  This was going back to the plastic.  We'll see how long it lasts.  I'll snag that two pack of brass fittings though anyway, just to tinker with for possible future issues.

8 hours ago, clw42 said:

Thanks for this!

I did have another replacement tip in my stash of spare parts so I replaced it with another one and loaded 100 without a problem.  This was going back to the plastic.  We'll see how long it lasts.  I'll snag that two pack of brass fittings though anyway, just to tinker with for possible future issues.

👍

The reason for the plastic tips is that they are flexible, and will deform easily to prevent an out of round primer from getting crushed and igniting during a misfeed. They are easily replaced by the end user as well.

FWIW:

From another S1050/RL1100 user group discussing brass receiving crooked/upside down/no primers during loading:

do you know why that’s happening? I had that issue because primers were getting stuck in the blue plastic tip but I switched to the primer tube from my 650 as it had a brass tip and it works perfectly

🤔

• 9 months later...
On 11/11/2022 at 9:04 AM, clw42 said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but didn't want to start a new thread.  Also, this isn't a new press set up issue, just something I recently ran into with new primers.

I bought these primers from Powder Valley:

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/servicios-aventuras-small-pistol-primers/

First thing I noticed is that they don't like to flip in the flip tray.  It seems the ridge on the cup is almost non existent, not a huge deal but a bit of a pain in the ass. 

The real problem came when trying to run them through the press.  It would feed one or two, then invariably a primer would flip itself vertically into the space on the blue plastic primer feed tip at the end of the primer feed tube.  I've got maybe 15K rounds through the press give or take, so I didn't think that part would be worn, but I swapped it for a new one anyway.  That didn't fix the problem.  I double checked with some CCI's that I have to make sure it wasn't an alignment issue and those fed fine.

I decided to try the primer feed tube from my 650 since it has a brass fitting on the bottom and not that plastic tip and it worked like a charm, as it doesn't allow the next primer anywhere near dropping.

So my question is, why didn't Dillon use the same brass style in the first place?  There must be a reason.  I'll use it this way until I get through this lot of primers, then I'll switch back.

You my friend deserve a medal! My SR Wolf primers ran 100% in my 650 but I have nothing but aggravation on my 1100 to the point where I was going to go back to the 650. Bent, ejected, missing, powder everywhere, oh my blood pressure was through the roof! Dillon had me clean the tubes, lube, reset primer and nothing worked. Winchester ran like a sewing machine but no dice for the wolf.

I had a spare feed tube for the 650 and installed it. Now the 1100 runs like a sewing machine. Thank you clw42, I was ready to dump my 1100 and get an Apex.

I had a consistent issue with my press loading primers sideways - somewhere around 5% of my cartridges. I loaded probably 10k of the most infuriating rounds of my career. Dillon CS insisted I needed more primer swage, and I accommodated their experiment requests, with no improvement. I benched my machine for a year and badmouthed Dillon every chance I got. I even went back to a Lock-N-Load. Fast forward, and I find this video:

Basically, as (many/all of) the presses come, the primer slide gets violently popped backwards as the shell plate index pins line up. Dillon needs to either adjust the primer slide nose geometry, or soften the index pin shoulder angle, or I guess ship the actuator arms with a ziptie like in the video to soften the back-and-forth. 

Implementing this change has completely reinvigorated my press and reloading. The press runs the way I expected it to. I have had zero priming issues in the last 3k rounds.

I sent the video to Dillon and got no response back from the guy who told me I needed more swage.

(PS: Hi, everyone. Longtime listener, first time caller.)

Edited by Not_A_Llama

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 10:19 PM, Not_A_Llama said:

I had a consistent issue with my press loading primers sideways - somewhere around 5% of my cartridges. I loaded probably 10k of the most infuriating rounds of my career. Dillon CS insisted I needed more primer swage, and I accommodated their experiment requests, with no improvement. I benched my machine for a year and badmouthed Dillon every chance I got. I even went back to a Lock-N-Load. Fast forward, and I find this video:

Basically, as (many/all of) the presses come, the primer slide gets violently popped backwards as the shell plate index pins line up. Dillon needs to either adjust the primer slide nose geometry, or soften the index pin shoulder angle, or I guess ship the actuator arms with a ziptie like in the video to soften the back-and-forth. 

Implementing this change has completely reinvigorated my press and reloading. The press runs the way I expected it to. I have had zero priming issues in the last 3k rounds.

I sent the video to Dillon and got no response back from the guy who told me I needed more swage.

That is a great video.  Thank you.  I'm going to do this on my presses. 

On 9/6/2023 at 9:19 PM, Not_A_Llama said:

I'm not saying you don't have a legit issue with the primer mechanism because discussions occur on a regular basis.

However I tend to disagree with your assertion that "Basically, as (many/all of) the presses come, the primer slide gets violently popped backwards as the shell plate index pins line up."

I have to RL1100s. There is indeed some backward movement as the primer slide index pin aligns the slide. That is obvious on both machines. 

However to characterize it as violent is, from my experience, is a bit of a reach. 

But all these machines have their own individual idiosyncrasies that is for sure. What is true for your machine is obviously not an issue for mine. And I've seen that repeat itself numerous times for other issues as well.

I do think it strange how some have such trouble with one area and others breeze along without a care in the world.
I'm not blaming the user; it is just an interesting observation on how diverse our experiences with these machines can be.

• 1 month later...

I mean, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. What I call “violent” is sufficiently so to cause problems with consistent primer seating and to cause a career-long Dillon fan to stop using a $2k machine out of frustration. And enough to make some other strangers record a fix, which re-converted this frustrated user.

I wanted to call attention to the fact that this can be a problem, and that the customer service rep I got was unreceptive to the idea that there could be a problem outside of user error.  If Dillon doesn’t know or acknowledge there’s a problem, we’re so habituated to their general good service that it’s hard to believe there are issues.

before: https://i.imgur.com/veV51pI.mp4

after: https://i.imgur.com/XN1X5c8.mp4

3 hours ago, Not_A_Llama said:

I mean, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. What I call “violent” is sufficiently so to cause problems with consistent primer seating and to cause a career-long Dillon fan to stop using a $2k machine out of frustration. And enough to make some other strangers record a fix, which re-converted this frustrated user.

I wanted to call attention to the fact that this can be a problem, and that the customer service rep I got was unreceptive to the idea that there could be a problem outside of user error.  If Dillon doesn’t know or acknowledge there’s a problem, we’re so habituated to their general good service that it’s hard to believe there are issues.

before: https://i.imgur.com/veV51pI.mp4

after: https://i.imgur.com/XN1X5c8.mp4

Several thoughts:

1. I've had a positive experience for the most part with Dillon tech support. There have been a couple of times I was less than thrilled. Calling back and getting a different person worked every time.

2. I don't doubt you had a significant problem. As previously noted the primer system can cause problems. However for the most part it seems to work for the vast majority of people. I have two RL1100s. One with well over 100,000 rounds loading all sorts of headstamps. Both priming systems work just fine.

I do get an occasional completely upside down primer; maybe 1 per 1000 if that. I am not 100% certain I didn't load one in the tube upside down in the first place.

3. Given the vast difference in behavior some experience I'm wondering if it is due to something in the production process that is causing some machines to exhibit totally different behavior than others. Like I said in my previous post; neither of my machines "snaps violently", rather they have a "gentle nudge".