Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1100 new press setup issues.

11 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

The reason I asked was that a couple of days ago I decided to clean my primer pickup tubes and primer system magazine, and I noticed the magazine took several alcohol patches to clean all the primer residue out.  I only use Federal Match primers, and have loaded less than 5,000 rounds..........

All reloaded brass is processed off-machine. 

Right now I'm wondering if I need to remove the Primer Slide Indexing Assembly and the Primer Slide in order to clean the Slide track of any residue/debris?  Also wondering if the slide track can be successfully cleaned without removing the shell plate?

Thanks! 

Watch the video, after you do it a few times. It only takes 20 minutes for a full teardown and cleaning. I also grease the zerk fittings. Good luck

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, ddc said:

@Cuzwhere did all the powder go? 

125 rounds is a lot of powder.... just sayin...

Right into the bin with the loaded rounds. Normally I dump that bin into another bin every 25-30 rounds, but I was going for the record to see how fast I could load 100. 

I guess it’s time to order the Hornady collet bullet puller and to dust off the single stage press a friend gave me some years ago. Never thought I’d be using it. 

• 6 months later...

So, a little thread resurrection since this seems to be the most pertinent place to put this.

I just received and installed my 1100.  I decided to remove the ratchet to make it more like my 650.  I've seen several posts about this process and I'm a bit confused.  All I did was remove the ratcheting mechanism from the tool head and it no longer ratchets.  I've seen posts saying that the coinciding parts on the press are to be removed as well.  Is there a reason for this?

I'll also add, that using the 1100 then going back to the 650 was a bit of a surprise.  It's much beefier in operation and build quality.  I've obviously seen folks make those same comments, but experiencing it was a little eye opening.

4 hours ago, clw42 said:

So, a little thread resurrection since this seems to be the most pertinent place to put this.

I just received and installed my 1100.  I decided to remove the ratchet to make it more like my 650.  I've seen several posts about this process and I'm a bit confused.  All I did was remove the ratcheting mechanism from the tool head and it no longer ratchets.  I've seen posts saying that the coinciding parts on the press are to be removed as well.  Is there a reason for this?

I'll also add, that using the 1100 then going back to the 650 was a bit of a surprise.  It's much beefier in operation and build quality.  I've obviously seen folks make those same comments, but experiencing it was a little eye opening.

you can do it either way. Some folks take off the ratchet from the toolhead. Others think that may weaken the bolt that works the primer slide because now it screws in further. Or you can take out the ratchet part of the press and leave the part on the toolhead. 
somewhere there is a whole discussion on this subject, but I don’t recall where at the moment. 

Just now, Cuz said:

you can do it either way. Some folks take off the ratchet from the toolhead. Others think that may weaken the bolt that works the primer slide because now it screws in further. Or you can take out the ratchet part of the press and leave the part on the toolhead. 
somewhere there is a whole discussion on this subject, but I don’t recall where at the moment. 

I've done it both ways. And then ended up removing everything ratchet related. The less crap to collect crap the better.

I did put a washer behind the primer slide bolt to approximate the original orientation and geometry.

24 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Yeah, that's where I was reading about it.  You and ddc...the same guys responding to me here.

21 minutes ago, ddc said:

I've done it both ways. And then ended up removing everything ratchet related. The less crap to collect crap the better.

I did put a washer behind the primer slide bolt to approximate the original orientation and geometry.

That's a good point about less crap to collect crap.  I guess I'll do both.  I did add washers to mimic the thickness of ratchet as well.  I saw that in the other thread and figured I'd do the same.

Thanks guys!!

22 minutes ago, George16 said:

I removed everything ratchet related for simplicity and less things to worry about. I mainly use my 1100 for processing and loading 9mm and .223.

That's exactly what I'm using it for.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:16 PM, ddc said:

This is probably what I’ll do too the next time I clean the press. I should be getting a light kit in soon so that will motivate me to take it apart. 

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

This is probably what I’ll do too the next time I clean the press. I should be getting a light kit in soon so that will motivate me to take it apart. 

I ended up doing it.  One screw to take off the frame mounted parts, and the ratchet from the tool head.  Super smooth!

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone is using the number 5 or the number 3 shell plate for both 9mm and 223?  The 5 seems to be a little more snug for both size cases, but I'm not sure if that's okay for the 9mm.

On 2/19/2022 at 4:40 PM, clw42 said:

Just curious if anyone is using the number 5 or the number 3 shell plate for both 9mm and 223?  The 5 seems to be a little more snug for both size cases, but I'm not sure if that's okay for the 9mm.

I didn't know that was possible learn something new everyday. 

6 hours ago, XL6504ME said:

I didn't know that was possible learn something new everyday. 

With my 650, I used the #5 for both, but the fit wasn't quite as snug on the 9mm as it is with the 1100 shell plate

Case feeder crapped out on me today.  Got almost a month out of it before it died.  Not sure how that stacks up.  Luckily I was able to move the one from my 650 over.  So needless to say, I'm not a fan of this new variable speed feeder.  My 650 case feeder with the high/low setting (newer old style with the all plastic hopper) has been great, no issues whatsoever in five or six years.

8 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

If your press is fairly new I would contact Dillon.  

Oh yeah, I did that immediately.  I have a service ticket already, just waiting to hear back from them.