Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1100 new press setup issues.

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

File the dillon pins to a chisel point and that fixes issue of pull back. Not one since I did that years ago 

I did that, and will monitor.  If it happens again, I'll file it very aggressively, but after that I'll switch to the Lee.  I also have a Lee Factory Crimp die that I want to use, but I'll hold off until the Hundo guage comes in and then I'll see what my ammo does in the guage.  Currently they all feed and cycle reliably except for the light strikes.  I've adjusted that and am waiting to test at the range.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spent primers are EVERYWHERE!  Why can’t the damn spent primers just drop in the cup like they’re supposed to?

I already bought the attachment to replace the cup that will funnel them down a tube, but I’m sort of afraid to use it until I trust my decapping/sizing die, and right now, I don’t no need to actually see the primer drop to know it got removed. Currently about 20% of them are going in odd directions and landing all over the floor. What a pain. 

while I’m on the subject, whose primer catching are you using?  I got one from Range Panda as an add on item since I was already ordering some stuff, but I think I’d prefer a metal one over plastic. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

Spent primers are EVERYWHERE!  Why can’t the damn spent primers just drop in the cup like they’re supposed to?

I already bought the attachment to replace the cup that will funnel them down a tube, but I’m sort of afraid to use it until I trust my decapping/sizing die, and right now, I don’t no need to actually see the primer drop to know it got removed. Currently about 20% of them are going in odd directions and landing all over the floor. What a pain. 

while I’m on the subject, whose primer catching are you using?  I got one from Range Panda as an add on item since I was already ordering some stuff, but I think I’d prefer a metal one over plastic. 

Thanks. 

Well on my machine they do drop in the cup like they are supposed to.

Is it possible the spent primer cup is not pushed in as far as it is supposed to be?

I've never had an issue with a significant number of primers missing the cup.

Every once in a while? Sure. But not like what you are seeing.

Cuz - I ordered, received, and tried to use the Range Panda primer chute in the link below without success….It would not line up 100% (I was concerned that by it not lining up 100% primers might get backed up in the transition area between the machine and the chute opening) so I put it on the grinding wheel and ground off all of the material I could on the”machine” side until I ran out of material to grind off (because I ran into the tube connection barb) and it still would not line up 100% with the primer drop hole….

https://rangepanda.com/collections/dillon-1050/products/cnc-spent-primer-chute-dillon-super-1050-rl1100

So I have in route now (should be here this week) this unit from Entirely Crimson unit….

https://entirelycrimson.com/products/rl1100-super1050-spent-primer-chute

Something I read on another forum - Go to your local hardware store (I went to Lowes) and rather than using the 3/4” ID tubing which is huge and tends to want to kink -  buy a $6.00 10 foot piece of 1/2” ID clear tubing….Take a heat gun or hand torch and heat up one end and insert something that will allow the 1/2” ID tube to stretch out to the required 3/4” ID and then cool (I used a large steel punch)….Then place this over your primer chute barb and now you have a nice clean 1/2” ID tube that carries your spent primers to your spent primer catch unit….The wall thickness on the 1/2” ID tube is slightly thicker than the 3/4” ID tube reducing the likelihood of it kinking….I will be drilling a hole in my reloading bench and my spent primers will be collected in a 3” PVC pipe that is 32” tall that is mounted under my reloading bench…..

Pictures to follow once I get the entirely crimson unit in hand and installed.  Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

2 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - I ordered, received, and tried to use the Range Panda primer chute in the link below without success….It would not line up 100% (I was concerned that by it not lining up 100% primers might get backed up in the transition area between the machine and the chute opening) so I put it on the grinding wheel and ground off all of the material I could on the”machine” side until I ran out of material to grind off (because I ran into the tube connection barb) and it still would not line up 100% with the primer drop hole….

https://rangepanda.com/collections/dillon-1050/products/cnc-spent-primer-chute-dillon-super-1050-rl1100

So I have in route now (should be here this week) this unit from Entirely Crimson unit….

https://entirelycrimson.com/products/rl1100-super1050-spent-primer-chute

Something I read on another forum - Go to your local hardware store (I went to Lowes) and rather than using the 3/4” ID tubing which is huge and tends to want to kink -  buy a $6.00 10 foot piece of 1/2” ID clear tubing….Take a heat gun or hand torch and heat up one end and insert something that will allow the 1/2” ID tube to stretch out to the required 3/4” ID and then cool (I used a large steel punch)….Then place this over your primer chute barb and now you have a nice clean 1/2” ID tube that carries your spent primers to your spent primer catch unit….The wall thickness on the 1/2” ID tube is slightly thicker than the 3/4” ID tube reducing the likelihood of it kinking….I will be drilling a hole in my reloading bench and my spent primers will be collected in a 3” PVC pipe that is 32” tall that is mounted under my reloading bench…..

Pictures to follow once I get the entirely crimson unit in hand and installed.  Mark

Thanks Mark,

I didn’t even have to install the Range Panda product to know I won’t use it. I do have a bunch of his stuff and like it a lot, and I was already ordering more stuff so I figured I’d take a chance. 

I tend to order stuff I need based on what else they have that I want to sort of minimize shipping. I have an order arriving from Ben Stoeger tomorrow, I wish I had waited because now he has a few other thing I want. I’m going to have to spend a few extra minutes on his website to try and order everything at once. As much as I don’t want to, it looks like I’m going to go to a 2 pass system for my 9mm since it’s mostly junk range pickup brass.   By the time I’m done the accessories costs are going to have me wondering if I should have just gotten a CP2000 with the 1100…

Cuz I run a CP2000 for processing, get one you will love it. I get range brass for free, since my friend owns a gun range, Once the Ammobot is available from Dillon pick one up. The sensors will stop the press if theres anything wrong. You will never have any issues with stuck primers or debris in the case before you load them. I run all my mixed processed brass through my Dillon 1100 on a primer only pass, then I run them through again for powder and bullets. 

205757107_336100811350643_8645837742282623447_n.jpg

Johnny - NICE set up Sir…..If I may ask I see your spent primer chute is blue. Is that the 3D printed one that Range Panda sells for $5.00?  I ask because I had that one in my cart the last time I putting an order together from them and then took it out and replaced it with the aluminum one…..60k spent primers tells me that what you have works….Thanks Mark

48 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Johnny - NICE set up Sir…..If I may ask I see your spent primer chute is blue. Is that the 3D printed one that Range Panda sells for $5.00?  I ask because I had that one in my cart the last time I putting an order together from them and then took it out and replaced it with the aluminum one…..60k spent primers tells me that what you have works….Thanks Mark

Range Panda. All his products are top notch

Cuz - Quick Update for you….My Entirely Crimson primer chute came in yesterday and it took about 2 minutes to install on my custom RL1100 system. Then it took me another 30 minutes to drill the hole through my bench, flare the 1/2” ID clear tube, and route it to my 2.5” PVC pipe mounted under my bench.   The large hole on the spent primer storage tube allows me to know when the tube needs to be emptied (visual check with a small mirror or primers will start falling out).  The first picture angle is not great - it appears that the 1/2” clear tube is hitting the lower handle unit - it is not - it misses it by a good 1/2”…..

I also took a couple of photos of the Double Alpha loaded round funnel-chute that I am using. If I am doing load development I can remove the funnel, swing the Arco bin rest back down, and catch my rounds topside or I can just put a small hand towel in the funnel to catch the loaded rounds for visual inspection and measurements….Mark

11-FE1369-1-F7-D-4534-8-C73-D3-A0694-B44

9-A5-F8506-86-B1-405-B-AEA3-882-FDD4-DEA

89-B7-A8-B1-1900-41-FB-BC0-A-16-EFDB07-E

Edited by Sigarmsp226

58 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - Quick Update for you….My Entirely Crimson primer chute came in yesterday and it took about 2 minutes to install on my custom RL1100 system. Then it took me another 30 minutes to drill the hole through my bench, flare the 1/2” ID clear tube, and route it to my 2.5” PVC pipe mounted under my bench.   The large hole on the spent primer storage tube allows me to know when the tube needs to be emptied (visual check with a small mirror or primers will start falling out).  The first picture angle is not great - it appears that the 1/2” clear tube is hitting the lower handle unit - it is not - it misses it by a good 1/2”…..

I also took a couple of photos of the Double Alpha loaded round funnel-chute that I am using. If I am doing load development I can remove the funnel, swing the Arco bin rest back down, and catch my rounds topside or I can just put a small hand towel in the funnel to catch the loaded rounds for visual inspection and measurements….Mark

11-FE1369-1-F7-D-4534-8-C73-D3-A0694-B44

9-A5-F8506-86-B1-405-B-AEA3-882-FDD4-DEA

89-B7-A8-B1-1900-41-FB-BC0-A-16-EFDB07-E

Interesting setup Mark. I’m definitely taking note of what everyone is doing. I have a primer collection tube on my 550, and will eventually put one on the 1100 once I have more trust in my process. For now, I need to visually see the primers falling out because they are not reliably getting ejected. 
as for the loaded round collection units, I’ve never been a fan of them. On my 550, I let them collect in the bin, and then every 50 rounds or so I would dump them into a bigger collection bin. I started doing this many years ago as a sort of fail safe. If a round gets ejected from the press that didn’t get crimped, or that I “thought” had a problem, it was never in a bunch of more than 50 rounds to sort through. I can’t imagine thinking there might be a problem round in the big bucket of 3,000 rounds I just loaded. 

23 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I can’t imagine thinking there might be a problem round in the big bucket of 3,000 rounds I just loaded. 

Cuz - Great Point you make here....I usually load 300-500 rounds at a time and tend to unload the collection unit and check every round in my Hondo - BUT - you comment does cause me to pause as I continue to "tweak" the die process and configuration of my RL1100.....It might be best for me to utilize my ARGO bin until I have locked down my die configuration and test fired 100 rounds or so to ensure everything is working exactly as the rounds coming off of my 650.  

Thanks for making this point again....Mark

Anyone using a MBF that has double feeds as a result of your feed tube being slightly off to one side from center might want to consider one of these neat little devices.....I saw this and remembered some forum members talking about occasional "double feeds" occurring on their MBF....Not sure how well it works - Just wanted to share....Mark

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/dropper-tensioning-spring-assembly

MBF-Spring-Assembly.png

57 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Anyone using a MBF that has double feeds as a result of your feed tube being slightly off to one side from center might want to consider one of these neat little devices.....I saw this and remembered some forum members talking about occasional "double feeds" occurring on their MBF....Not sure how well it works - Just wanted to share....Mark

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/dropper-tensioning-spring-assembly

MBF-Spring-Assembly.png

I bought a cheaper version from eBay using a single $.30 spring from Home Depot and works well.

EDF2327-C-51-B9-46-B2-9493-E42-FEF484-B0

Thanks George - Appreciate you posting this. Me not being a long time MBF user when I saw the item I posted I had no clue there were other more affordable options out there…Thanks Again for posting and sharing that it works for you…Mark

The one that came with my pro bullet feeder didnt work properly. I had to ream it out myself, guess they fixed that issue.

Yea, I'm sure there's always exceptions where there's an issue with any of these components!

After talking with Rick Koskela concerning some issues with the standard dropper, he recommended the Pro dropper for the same reasons as stated in the Description at Double-Alpha Academy:  

Since the dropper is gravity powered, by increasing the weight of the assembly we are able to get a more reliable and more consistent performance. In the case of the PRO dropper, the brass section is twice as long and so twice as heavy as the original Mr.Bulletfeeder, preventing hang-up which could happen due to excessive feed-spring sideways tension or friction to the dropper.

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

Cuz - Not trying to derail your thread but my question is related to setting up the RL1100….

Many years ago I purchased and still use the bearing kit for my XL650 that helped reduce the powder spillage issues. I also cut my detent spring down and replaced the ball with a delrin (spelling) ball. Everything still works great….. So to my question…

I see that there is a bearing upgrade kit for the RL1100. I am not experiencing any powder spillage but it is because I am loading “powder puff” loads…Has anyone upgraded their RL1100 with one of these “under the toolhead” bearing kits and if so are you happy with the results….Thanks Mark

Here is a link to one that I saw at the BSPS site….

https://benstoegerproshop.com/dillon-precision-1050-rl1100-premium-bearing-kit-and-spill-control-solution-by-reloading-innovations/

31 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Cuz - Not trying to derail your thread but my question is related to setting up the RL1100….

Many years ago I purchased and still use the bearing kit for my XL650 that helped reduce the powder spillage issues. I also cut my detent spring down and replaced the ball with a delrin (spelling) ball. Everything still works great….. So to my question…

I see that there is a bearing upgrade kit for the RL1100. I am not experiencing any powder spillage but it is because I am loading “powder puff” loads…Has anyone upgraded their RL1100 with one of these “under the toolhead” bearing kits and if so are you happy with the results….Thanks Mark

Here is a link to one that I saw at the BSPS site….

https://benstoegerproshop.com/dillon-precision-1050-rl1100-premium-bearing-kit-and-spill-control-solution-by-reloading-innovations/

Interesting, I think one of the reasons I like TiteGroup is that it’s a low volume powder so there’s less chance of spillage. I haven’t experienced it yet on my 550 or now on the 1100.