Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA releasing new striker-fire: STK-100

2 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

MSRP = $599... given a little time probably on shelves for closer to $400.   Canik killer?

Haven’t tried the Canik myself but if all the aftermarket Glock trigger components work and the slide being optics ready, it might be a great and cheap option for a CO pistol with a metal frame. 

I have to agree with Hiker88.  I shoot both Canik TP9SFx and Glocks, and like both.  I look forward to getting my hands on one of these as soon as I can and wringing it out!  Will be interesting to see how things develop.  I do like that it uses Glock magazines as they're everywhere...

• 1 month later...

Just picked it up this afternoon and  shot about 100 rounds through it. 

Trigger pull weight measured average of 4 lbs 12 oz out of the box.  Weight is 33 oz with empty mag.  It came with KCI mags.  My glock 17 mags worked with it as well.

Did have some issues with light primer strikes using Remington military training ammo that comes in brown card board box.

Slide looks good, steel captured guide rod.  Metal front sight.  Rear sight is integrated with plate which is a bummer because can not co-witness irons with a red dot.

Frame is where it gets interesting.  Aluminum clam shell design with six screws.  3 pin just like a gen 3 glock.  Those are threaded screws as well.  Locking block is twice the size of Glocks block.  Rear rail is similar to those 80% frame. It's own piece and not integrated like a Glock. 

Aluminum trigger that feel nice.

Extended slide release.  Aluminum mag release which I hope doesn't eat my mags over time.  The mag release is not glock compatible.  It's similar to 1911/2011 for removal.

To remove the trigger components;

Remove all six frame screws, remove the two trigger screws that are threaded into the locking block.

Next remove the trigger housing screw which is threaded into the rear frame rail housing.  

Once all nine screws are removed, you can split the frame in halves.

First thing I notice was the locking block also housed the take down lever.  AND it also has the gun's serial number.  No serial number on either half of the claim shall frame.  

I think the way this thing is designed it may be possible to replace the frame. 

I replaced the connector with a ghost connector, also put in a reduced plunger spring.  Polished all the usual parts you would on a glock.  Brought the pull weight down to a very nice 3 lb 4 oz.  Also I replace the recoil spring to 15 lbs.

Does not fit my bravo concealment holster or my comp-tac.  So looking for a new hoster.  Standby for pics

If this guy's to be believed, it has some issues regarding Glock compatibility and accuracy issues, or more accurately, barrel twist rate/115g bullet weight dependency for decent accuracy (detailed at about the 4:00 mark). Appears to shoot pretty flat though.

23 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

If this guy's to be believed, it has some issues regarding Glock compatibility and accuracy issues, or more accurately, barrel twist rate/115g bullet weight dependency for decent accuracy (detailed at about the 4:00 mark). Appears to shoot pretty flat though.

Well, as someone who shoots 147gr exclusively, that's a bummer. I'm sure someone will make barrels for it if it gets popular but that's definitely a strike against it vs. a regular Glock.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

Well, as someone who shoots 147gr exclusively, that's a bummer. I'm sure someone will make barrels for it if it gets popular but that's definitely a strike against it vs. a regular Glock.

Yeah, it's a bargain until you have to replace the barrel for it to shoot accurately.

And no ambi slide stop, really? If you're going for Glock compatibility, go with the most current generation, or at least the biggest features of the current generation.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up with hopes to install an optic, it gets interesting. Emailed RIA and was told it was a Glock MOS cut, it is not. Then they tell me only the Vortex Venom can be used, but they machined it with no front or rear posts, only 2 screw shallow posts in the middle. I emailed them back and fourth for more information about the optic cut or available plates, 8 days later finally talked to a guy and was told they had issues with the plates, some people are just mounting the Venom direct after they modify (chamfer) the holes on the bottom of the optic. I did not go that route due to my fear of impact and nothing to hold the optic other than the 2 screws.

I modified a buddy's S&W plate #5 for Vortex Venom to fit the slide pocket, which has 4 posts, waiting on my optic to arrive.

20210828_161837.jpg

It uses the Shield RMS/SMS footprint.  

How the heck they couldn't tell you what the proper optic cut was is beyond me.  I had to actually do my own research to find out.  

I bought a Holosun 507 not knowing this.  I ended up just getting a Sig romeo zero as a cheap place holder for now until I can return the 507.  Their choice of footprint is odd IMO.  

No accuracy issues with 147 gr federal syntec.  Good enough for USPSA shooting.  Not trying to shoot bullseye.  I'll continue to evaluate.

Also plan to see if a Timney Alpha trigger fits once I can find one in stock

Edited by sandflea316
Add info

So you just mounted the Sig Romeo Zero directly, no plate? Side battery access? What will be your final optic?

I guess the front and rear of the optic fit up against the slide cut, so no movement? I did the same, ordered a 507C, but now guessing the 507K would work? Not sure why they cut a full sized (width) slide, with a Mini cut? 

Shield-Sight.jpg

Romeo Zero mounted directly.  The slide has threaded post. The zero battery access is under.

There's  a huge space behind the red dot on the slide cut.  Like 1/4 inch.  So not sure it does accommodate a full size or not?

Didn't want to take the 507 ACSS Vulcan out of box to try as I wanted a full refund. 

Thought about getting the 507k but I may go with the swampfox sentinel.  Gonna run the zero until I kill it first though.

If I find a vortex venom for cheap, I'll try it.

Got everything mounted today. It required some dremel on the Vortex Venom, RIA told me it would to sit over the two posts. Glad I went with a plate,  no gaps front or rear, and it sits on the two screw posts, and 4 others on the plate. 

20210904_110755.jpg

• 2 weeks later...