Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet setback

DodgeNerd

I know this has been covered before however I've searched for "NOE expander plugs" and found nothing.

I'm concerned with my 9major load and some setback. I'm not getting crazy setback, but some in the high thousands.

Mix range brass, rollsized

PD 124 JHP

1.165-1.17" OAL

Currently setup on my 1050;

*Lee U-die

*Dillon 1050 Swage Backup / Expander

*NOE expander plug @.355" (also have a .356")

*shooting innovations powder drop

*MBF dropper

*Redding Comp seat

*Lee taper

I found that when i backed the dillon swag out so that it supports the brass during swagging (but not expanding) it helps (low thousands). Also the powder drop I have backed out not to do a whole lot of expanding and basically trust the NOE to take the grunt work. 

So back to the question, am I running one too many "expanding" options ?

For my coated 9 minor, I running everything "normal";

*Dillon swag die down

*NOE .358" (running .357" projectiles for a shadow2)

Thanks,

Jason

I think you are expanding the case way too deep. On my 1100, I’m using an FW Arms auto-centering Swage foot die that holds the case in place without expand the case mouth. The case is then flared to accept the 124 JHP from PD using the MBF powder funnel. Doing it this way allows for no bullet setback on my reloaded ammo.

Additionally, I also use a Lee U-Die, Redding comp seating due and Lee FCD.

I also use the MBF funnel/expander, but set it to run shallow.  There is no flare, and none is needed.  Bullets drop in and stay put.  Final crimp with the Lee FCD.  Zero setback.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:45 AM, George16 said:

I think you are expanding the case way too deep. On my 1100, I’m using an FW Arms auto-centering Swage foot die that holds the case in place without expand the case mouth. The case is then flared to accept the 124 JHP from PD using the MBF powder funnel. Doing it this way allows for no bullet setback on my reloaded ammo.

Additionally, I also use a Lee U-Die, Redding comp seating due and Lee FCD.

I hope not as I did back the dillon die out.

I could try my FW swage die (it's on my processing head) but I'll have to verify the NOE plug will work with sized brass. (As the dillon swage die would start a flare)

19 hours ago, zzt said:

I also use the MBF funnel/expander, but set it to run shallow.  There is no flare, and none is needed.  Bullets drop in and stay put.  Final crimp with the Lee FCD.  Zero setback.

I was using the MBF, but I needed something diff/better for my coated 9 minor stuff. I've read Lee FCD is not a good idea for coated.

I trt process my brass first, I wonder if it's worth it running the FCD w/o crimp on the processing run??

32 minutes ago, DodgeNerd said:

I was using the MBF, but I needed something diff/better for my coated 9 minor stuff. I've read Lee FCD is not a good idea for coated.

I trt process my brass first, I wonder if it's worth it running the FCD w/o crimp on the processing run??

I load .356~.3565" coated bullets and .356" plated bullets for minor with exactly the same settings (except for OAL) as I do for major JHPs.  The MBF feeder drops them in and they stay put.  The Lee FCD is designed for .355" diameter bullets.  It WILL swage the portion of the bullet inside the case down to .355" if larger.  It is rumored to affect accuracy.  It does not, at least with any of the various coated and plated bullets I've used. 

Why would you consider using the FCD while processing your brass?  It makes no sense.  You are expanding your case mouth twice.  The FCD will resize the mouth back down.    I preprocess all my twice-fired brass.  I resize it, then expand the case mouth with a Redding 2-step expander.  That's it.  When I load the cases I remove the sizing die and replace the Redding with the powder measure/MBF funnel.  Cases sail through with ease.