Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I just waste 200 primers?

Bakerjd

Pretty new to reloading and still figuring everything out. I've kept hearing that even though you dont need to use case lube with the carbide sizing die it's still a good idea. Everyone said to get the hornady one shot stuff. Tried getting it local and nobody had any. I did find Lyman Quick Slick case lube spray and from what I found online, not much really, it sounded like a decent alternative. So I gotta can. Put some 9mm cases in a ziplock bag and sprayed it in amd shook it up. Dumped cases is case feeder. Proceeded to start making my 9 minor ammo amd was quite surprised at how much smoother everything was going. Up until I had a jam and had to stop mid stoke, Dillon RL1100, and reset the handle which turned the shell plate. If this happens I pull everything off the shell plate, inspect, and reinsert in shell plate. I found a smashed up case in one of the spots amd decided to just restart. 

I went to dump the cases with powder in them back into the powder dropper and some of the titegroup stuck to the side of the case wall. That's never happened when I didnt use case lube so now I'm wondering if I just messed up about 200 rounds I did before this happened? 

If I did it is what it is but what I dont want is a squib and a boom at practice or a match.

I don't know that lube and how much powder is sticking to the case, so I will not say whether they are safe to shoot or not.

The idea is you spray the ziplock bag first and than insert the cases, that way you will not get any lube inside the cases and this will prevent your issue.

2 hours ago, xrayfk05 said:

I don't know that lube and how much powder is sticking to the case, so I will not say whether they are safe to shoot or not.

The idea is you spray the ziplock bag first and than insert the cases, that way you will not get any lube inside the cases and this will prevent your issue.

^^ this is the method I use and I do it a few days before I load so the lube dries. I use hornady  one shot--zero issues so far

1 hour ago, boatdoc173 said:

^^ this is the method I use and I do it a few days before I load so the lube dries. I use hornady  one shot--zero issues so far

This is the same process I do except I made my own case lube by mixing 1 part lanolin to 12 parts of HEET (the one in a red plastic bottle). 

After reloading, I tumble the reloaded rounds in corn cob for 10-15 minutes to remove any excess case lube. So far, so good.

I use the Lyman lube for pistol and it happens, I’ve never had it affect my ammo

1 hint about using it is to let it dry before loading, it’s not like the old fashion lube that you used wet

My process is after inspection, wet tumble and dry, I immediately lube the cases and 

Let them sit, sometimes for days or weeks before I load them

I lay my cases flat on a large cookie sheet and spray them.  Then I put them in a bucket and toss them around.  The lube gets distributed just fine, and none is on the inside of the cases.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to change the way I lube a little and forge on. Spray in bag first, put cases in, shake around, then into the ready to use brass bucket. Should work better that way. 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

I have now shot all 200 of those rounds and no issues at all. 

So, I guess in answer to your original question, "Did I just waste 200 primers?", the answer would be a happy No.

Nice.

1 hour ago, ima45dv8 said:

So, I guess in answer to your original question, "Did I just waste 200 primers?", the answer would be a happy No.

Nice.

Correct. Although I have since switched to hornady one shot. I did notice that using lube got rid of the little brass shavings on the shell holder plate also. Not sure if that is a normal thing or not but I'm happy. And figured out why every so often the press would pop a new primer out instead of push it into the case. The little spring that holds the case in the priming station was not holding the case very well. Now the only thing I with it had was a case gold down for priming because the case tips a little bit in the priming station. But that may just be me overthinking it.