Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Gunsmith to Fix Apex trigger?

uhmeebuh

Hi all - 

I have an M&P gen 1 with an Apex trigger that...doesn't reset anymore.  I've tried a few of the usual things (after talking with support) and I think I need to send that to a good gunsmith.

Any recommendations for an M&P gunsmith from the group here?

Thanks!

Suspect most here do their own installs and adjustments of Apex trigger components, and would be glad to offer help in diagnosing and correcting your issue, if you are interested, but if you want a gunsmith, suggest you check w Apex for a recommendation.

Mark

On 6/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, mpom said:

Suspect most here do their own installs and adjustments of Apex trigger components, and would be glad to offer help in diagnosing and correcting your issue, if you are interested, but if you want a gunsmith, suggest you check w Apex for a recommendation.

Mark

I did the install myself and it worked for a number of years (and a few thousand rounds)...but....

On 6/15/2021 at 9:19 PM, NoSteel said:

It may cost you less to just put a new trigger kit in rather than get it off to a smith for repairs???

...I might just need a new trigger

On 6/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, uhmeebuh said:

I have an M&P gen 1 with an Apex trigger that...doesn't reset anymore. 

Doesn't reset when you fire?  Or doesn't reset at all, even when you rack the slide by hand?

More details would be very helpful. Can you check and see if trigger resets with the slide off? That is, pull trigger towards frame hard, while keeping it there, push trigger bar to right so it disengages from sear. Then slowly release trigger and see if loop reengages the sear. 

Another possible issue is the striker not catching on the sear, thus no reset.

Can you determine which scenario is occuring, or if its a different one altogether?

Mark

14 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

It resets intermittently and is likely due to the loop - I’ll have to do some more testing from what mpom said. 

If the failure to reset issue occurs intermittently in live-fire but the gun always resets when racking the slide in dry-fire, you're likely experiencing sear flutter & need to replace the sear spring. 

If you have the Apex sear spring in there, or just a real old OEM spring, it can weaken over time through use. What happens with a weakened sear spring is when the gun fires and the slide reciprocates the sear spring pushes the sear back up to be ready to catch the striker as the slide comes back forward but since it's weakened it rebounds slightly after initially resetting (bounces if you will) and misses catching the striker because of the bounce or flutter. Spend $4 or $5 and get a new sear spring and see if this takes care of your problem. You can do this fix yourself as it's quite easy. 

When I put Apex in my M&P it was beautiful for a couple thousand rounds but then started experiencing intermittent failure to reset.  The Apex sear spring is a little weaker than OEM and just weakened quicker.  I put the factory sear spring back in & it solved the problem.

13 hours ago, BJB said:

If the failure to reset issue occurs intermittently in live-fire but the gun always resets when racking the slide in dry-fire, you're likely experiencing sear flutter & need to replace the sear spring. 

If you have the Apex sear spring in there, or just a real old OEM spring, it can weaken over time through use. What happens with a weakened sear spring is when the gun fires and the slide reciprocates the sear spring pushes the sear back up to be ready to catch the striker as the slide comes back forward but since it's weakened it rebounds slightly after initially resetting (bounces if you will) and misses catching the striker because of the bounce or flutter. Spend $4 or $5 and get a new sear spring and see if this takes care of your problem. You can do this fix yourself as it's quite easy. 

When I put Apex in my M&P it was beautiful for a couple thousand rounds but then started experiencing intermittent failure to reset.  The Apex sear spring is a little weaker than OEM and just weakened quicker.  I put the factory sear spring back in & it solved the problem.

Believe Apex has 2 sear springs, and I prefer the purple over the yellow. Puple one is actually stronger than OEM. Prefer it because the trigger pull with stock springs and Apex parts ends up at around 3.5 lbs. That is great for competition but 2 of my M&Ps are carry guns as well as IDPA match guns so prefer trigger pull closer to 4 lbs. 

Mark

On 6/18/2021 at 8:59 PM, mpom said:

More details would be very helpful. Can you check and see if trigger resets with the slide off? That is, pull trigger towards frame hard, while keeping it there, push trigger bar to right so it disengages from sear. Then slowly release trigger and see if loop reengages the sear. 

Another possible issue is the striker not catching on the sear, thus no reset.

Can you determine which scenario is occuring, or if its a different one altogether?

Mark

Thanks again Mark - I tested this and it's working fine.  It resets every time.  

On 6/21/2021 at 6:49 AM, BJB said:

Thank you as well!  I'll order a new one and start there...

Brandon