Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you stake your castle nut

Considering that I am always changing things on my rifle, I do not like to stake or to loctite. I purchased a PWS castle nut which arrived defective. The pin was loose from the get go. So, I do not trust that system any more. I ended up ordering a Fortis K1 (not the K2) castle nut which I like a lot so far. I did not have any problems with it. The only negative is the price. I am not sure whether the added feature of the K2 is necessary and worth the extra money.

I don't stake because all of my endplates are Magpul ASAP sling mount end plates. They are too hard to stake. I have used green Loktite on these and have never had one loosen. Our armorer introduced me to green as we used the same ASAP and carried our AR's every day. In 10 years on 200 AR's with this set up, I never saw one loosen.

• 1 month later...

Since I’m still making changes I don’t stake my castle nut. As previously mentioned, I use witness marks. In fact I use witness marks on everything including optic mounts, optic dial settings, handguard screws, etc. I use a bright paint. It provides a quick visual if something has moved. Ot a reference point to return to, if I intentionally move something. 

Interesting add to this discussion, this past weekend was Area 7 Steel Challenge Champs.  First stage something didn't feel right.  Looked down and my PRS ratcheting castle nut had backed off.  A significant amount too where the end plate was loose.  No one had a wrench so every stage i'm cranking on it with my fingers just to tighten it up.  Kind of got in my head and I didn't shoot as well as I would have liked in PCCO.

Of course I have a small wrench in the basement, which does me no good on the range.  I now have a castle nut wrench in my range tool kit.  I hope the PRS doesn't keep backing off...

1 hour ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Interesting add to this discussion, this past weekend was Area 7 Steel Challenge Champs.  First stage something didn't feel right.  Looked down and my PRS ratcheting castle nut had backed off.  A significant amount too where the end plate was loose.  No one had a wrench so every stage i'm cranking on it with my fingers just to tighten it up.  Kind of got in my head and I didn't shoot as well as I would have liked in PCCO.

Of course I have a small wrench in the basement, which does me no good on the range.  I now have a castle nut wrench in my range tool kit.  I hope the PRS doesn't keep backing off...

Make sure when you are tightening it down that the detent piece is not sitting on of the teeth. It should be sitting in between.

16 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

Make sure when you are tightening it down that the detent piece is not sitting on of the teeth. It should be sitting in between.

Yea, I looked at that when I got home and made sure when I cranked it down that it's in a good spot.

I put a PWS ratcheting castle nut on my PCC.  The fact that it keeps backing off is what brought me to this thread. 

I just read the post about the Fortis K2 system and decided to give one of those kits a try. 

In the meantime, I'll add some locktite to the mix with the PWS. 

9 minutes ago, Khaot1c said:

I put a PWS ratcheting castle nut on my PCC.  The fact that it keeps backing off is what brought me to this thread. 

I just read the post about the Fortis K2 system and decided to give one of those kits a try. 

In the meantime, I'll add some locktite to the mix with the PWS. 

So you have had your PWS back off as well?  I looked at the Fortis, but at the time couldn't justify $55 at the time.  Although the PWS isn't that much less now that i look at it.  If it happens again, I'm going to look at the Fortis K2

Yes.  Staking is simple, cost effective insurance.  I do it on every rifle with a castle nut.  Then again, I also loctite almost everything with threads with a few notable exceptions and add witness marks to every attachment.  I am also used to putting rifle calibers through hard, duty use training, so doing it on a 9mm PCC for gaming *may* not be necessary, but i maintain consistency across platforms.  

Edited by Robertwil18