Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using front slide serrations on heavily milled slide, looking for opinions

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys, so right now for CO I am running a g34 that has an OEM slide that was milled by primary machines. I use a 15lb spring on heavy extended guide rod and it shoots great, the red dot is so easy to track. My one concern is racking the gun off the front slide serrations. This is my first ever milled gun and because the cut is so extreme and it has little support columns in the center of the lightning cuts I worry I'll somehow break my slide from using my front slide serrations.

Is this just my super OCD brain and a totally illegitimate concern or would you be concerned with this cut? The top also has a big window with a thin support column in the center as well. I usually grip it with the pocket between my thumb and index finger which I feel like applies the least possible force but I still worry about it so I have been using the rear serrations primarily. I am so much faster with the front serrations that I'm hoping yall can ease my mind. I have only been competing for a few months so it isn't like it is gonna make or break me but I'd like to be using the beat practices possible as I have been improving quickly.

Below is a link to the gun, let me know what you guys think.

Imgur link to my g34

• 2 weeks later...

Although your slide is milled pretty extensively, it'll be fine for "Forward Serration Racking".  If the metal was so thin that you could crush it with your manly adrenaline-fueled grip, it'd come apart with the first shot fired.  There's a lot more stress exerted on the slide at the end of the stroke than you could ever give manually.  🙂

Edited by Braxton1

A better and more comfortable solution is a "slide racker".  Springer Precision sells rackers that replace the striker cover plate on Glocks and S&W M&Ps.   They are inexpensive, easy to install, unobtrusive and available for both left and right handed shooters.  I have them on both of my M&Ps and the convenience is terrific.   They also keep your hand away from the muzzle while racking.

4 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

A better and more comfortable solution is a "slide racker".  Springer Precision sells rackers that replace the striker cover plate on Glocks and S&W M&Ps.   They are inexpensive, easy to install, unobtrusive and available for both left and right handed shooters.  I have them on both of my M&Ps and the convenience is terrific.   They also keep your hand away from the muzzle while racking.

Neat! But the downside is that Racker-Jackers are currently prohibited for CO and would push the competitor into the Open Division. (D7 item 22)

Someday, maybe...

19 hours ago, Rez805 said:

Neat! But the downside is that Racker-Jackers are currently prohibited for CO and would push the competitor into the Open Division. (D7 item 22)

Someday, maybe...

Too bad.  Actually Springer also sells a racker that is sort of T-shaped and doesn't project very far from either side if the slide.  It's advertised for use on carry guns as it doesn't make the gun much wider and shouldn't interfere with the draw or poke the wearer in the side.