Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staff Reimbursement - Do's and Don'ts

Cgoliver970

Not a very glamorous topic here but I would really appreciate any insight from others...

I am curious how other clubs have been handling reimbursements to staff for major matches. An important detail is that our club uses online payment via Stripe through Practiscore so all of our match fee income is being reported to the IRS. It seems like what I see the most for other matches, is a flat rate per diem for the staff (USPSA nationals for example). I have never worked a match that reimbursed so I do not know exactly how that goes down but in general my research into the topic makes me feel like this could be problematic if the IRS ever took interest. Maybe that is the most important element here, that we are such small fish there is not much risk and even if we did get audited the penalties would probably be small.

Do any of your clubs have official reimbursement policies with expense reports (aka an "accountable plan")

Do any of your clubs base the reimbursements on governments per diem rates and enforce a 50 mile rule to determine if local or not?

Do any of your clubs report taxable reimbursements issued to match staff (like if reimbursing local staff or reimbursing at a higher rate then the GSA rates)?

Has any one ever run into any kind of trouble with this kind of thing?

Various State and Area matches I have worked have had different plans.  I have worked matches where the plan was turn in your hotel bill, matches where it was X $ a night, matches were it was a flat fee, matches with no reimbursements.  Typically not a "club" policy but a a decision of the Match Officials based on their budgets.  I have never worked a match where the reimbursement were accompanied by any taxable paperwork.

Personally, I prefer the flat amount stated beforehand in communications to staff.  That allows me to choose do I want to stay in the match hotel, do I want to stay someplace nicer, maybe bring the family.

The matches that I have worked in St George had match hotels and you could have the cash equivalent of the double occupancy match rate and stay where ever you wanted to. I do recall giving a copy of the room receipt for their records. There was also travel expense reimbursement but the details escape me as it has been almost 2 years since my last major there. Lunch on the range was covered also.

I've worked Level II and III matches where the hotel for double has been covered and pay the other half.  One Area match where I paid for the hotel and at the end of the working the match was handed several hundred $$$ to cover that.  I've never turned in any paperwork or been issued any taxable paperwork.  Staying at a match hotel and having the room paid for by the match I would imagine they are getting paperwork directly from the hotel.

If you are worried about the IRS and are planning to MD for several higher level matches year after year then it might be worth looking into setting up an LLC.

We are doing a flat reimbursement for Area 4 Steel Challenge next month. It simplifies logistics for everyone. No keeping receipts and no mailing stuff out at the end. 

Philosophically speaking I want to go over the top to take care of RO's. They are at the match all weekend. I want to feed them good food, have them stay where they are happy, have them shoot the match on a relaxed schedule and work with the industry to show some extra love. Good RO's can elevate the match for everyone and they are basically giving up their weekend to do it. The more I can do for RO's the better.