Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Air Buffer

• 3 months later...

I just realized something, even though I don't shoot matches anymore, and I really have enjoyed PCC. I am thankful for all of the engineering that has been done in the PCC market to get a softer, flatter, and less dot moving blowback.  About like trying to turn a Glock trigger into a 1911 trigger.  I remember back when I started in this sport, everyone shot a single stack 45. Then someone shot a High Power and cut the reloads that was required to shoot some stages. And when I shot my first single stack comped 38 super. I was shocked. And when Todd Jarrett and the late John Benton showed up with their Para's and a dot's.  I could have paid for a house, the money I have spent in this sport, it has been fun.

Keep up the great job and when ammo free's back up or primers come back, I may get back into it, but by then, my PCC with be like the SS 45.

I ended up getting one and like it a lot - it definitely softens the blow of the bolt going back into battery. For comparison, I previously used a Blitzkrieg 9mm hydraulic buffer with the spacer buffer weight. The one issue I've run into is that when the rifle has sat for a while, the buffer o-ring seems to stick in the buffer tube a bit and takes some force to free up and can feel a little slow to move. I haven't had any issues shooting it in a match yet, though.

Will it actually make a difference in my shooting and make me a shooter, though? Probably not, though that could be said for most upgrades.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:45 AM, mgkrs said:

Will it actually make a difference in my shooting and make me a shooter, though? Probably not, though that could be said for most upgrades.

My thinking is the easier I can make the gun to shoot and the less input it needs from me, the more I'm freed up to focus on the other things. For example when you go into a position with a odd lean or compromised footing the gun that's easier to shoot is probably going to be worth it's weight in gold. 

I also just like to experiment with stuff. 

• 6 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 7:45 AM, mgkrs said:

I ended up getting one and like it a lot - it definitely softens the blow of the bolt going back into battery. For comparison, I previously used a Blitzkrieg 9mm hydraulic buffer with the spacer buffer weight. The one issue I've run into is that when the rifle has sat for a while, the buffer o-ring seems to stick in the buffer tube a bit and takes some force to free up and can feel a little slow to move. I haven't had any issues shooting it in a match yet, though.

Do you have any other feedback on the air buffer? Toying with the idea of the air buffer or the Scheel system. Any advice? 

I would guess the air buffer would feel softer and the scheel would be harsher but have less dot movement (and thus better for competition) - but I've never actually tried the Scheel. The Scheel would also be more difficult to pull charge at the beginning of its pull to overcome the rollers, similar to the Taccom Delayed Blowback Buffer, while the air buffer is the same pull throughout (except for the initial stick after sitting a while that I mentioned).

I doubt any buffer is going to make a significant difference, though - the most commonly recommended setup is the blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer and that worked great for me for a long time and I know my scores haven't really changed with the new air buffer. I'm actually selling my blitzkrieg if you're interested.

This came with my MBX carbine and it was OK; I played around with the buffer internal springs and the overall buffer spring to get it fairly flat.  That being said, it wasn't as good of a feel or as flat as the hydraulic Blitzkrieg buffers.  They were fairly close but the dot was a little more stable with the Blitz.