Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can one keep a DA pull light, but increase SA weight?

incognitomode

I have a CZ Shadow 2 and replaced the main spring with an 11lb one, a reduced power TRS, and the Extended FP and Spring combo.

I enjoy the lighter and smoother DA, which I have about down to 6.5lbs, but I find the SA too light at 1.5lbs using a Wheeler Gauge. I miss having a "wall", since I don't generally ride the reset and just release and get on the "wall", like on my defensive pistols. So I end up doing a lot of inadvertent double taps on practice, or even worse, press the trigger on presentation if I am not conscious.

Is my option just to increase the main spring weight still, which of course will bump up the DA pull also? I was thinking of putting in an increase power TRS just to get a "wall" again, but I frankly do not know if that's how it works, as far as what affects SA pull best. Maybe a stronger sear spring?

That or I guess, just a matter of retraining technique not to get on the "wall" too hard on follow up shots or even presentation.

20 hours ago, incognitomode said:

I have a CZ Shadow 2 and replaced the main spring with an 11lb one, a reduced power TRS, and the Extended FP and Spring combo.

I enjoy the lighter and smoother DA, which I have about down to 6.5lbs, but I find the SA too light at 1.5lbs using a Wheeler Gauge. I miss having a "wall", since I don't generally ride the reset and just release and get on the "wall", like on my defensive pistols. So I end up doing a lot of inadvertent double taps on practice, or even worse, press the trigger on presentation if I am not conscious.

Is my option just to increase the main spring weight still, which of course will bump up the DA pull also? I was thinking of putting in an increase power TRS just to get a "wall" again, but I frankly do not know if that's how it works, as far as what affects SA pull best. Maybe a stronger sear spring?

That or I guess, just a matter of retraining technique not to get on the "wall" too hard on follow up shots or even presentation.

I would first go back to the original TRS then see what it does. It should increase SA a bit.

I have the same issue. I changed to a Tanfo sear spring which has an extra coil and is a bit stiffer. It increased the single action pull by a few ounces. Still looking for something that will raise the single action to two pounds.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, incognitomode said:

Don't get on the wall at all.  Reset all the way out during recoil and pull straight back without stopping as the sight picture becomes acceptable.

Personally, I strongly dislike triggers with a hard wall.

23 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

I would first go back to the original TRS then see what it does. It should increase SA a bit.

Yeah, I put back the original TRS that bumped it up by about 1/2 pound. I put in then a 13# spring, and that bumped it up by another half pound on average I suppose. I'm back to around 2.5lbs, which I guess I prefer than the 1.5lbs "hair" trigger.

One thing I'd like to try when I get my hands on it is the Extra Power TRS with an 11# spring to see if I just get the tactile tension I like on SA. 

Thanks for the response!

17 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Don't get on the wall at all.  Reset all the way out during recoil and pull straight back without stopping as the sight picture becomes acceptable.

Personally, I strongly dislike triggers with a hard wall.

Yeah. Also highly considering a retraining in technique. A bit used to it with defensive training. I do reset all the way out and do not ride the reset, but get on the wall immediately as I align my sights. On my defensive DA/SA pistols, it's fine, especially on Striker-fired ones. I have not really done much competition/practical shooting, but practicing movements at home; I do have the occasional ND (dry) when I "run" to the next target and present, firing the trigger attempting to get on the "wall".

That said, moving up to 2.5lbs from 1.5lbs has certainly helped. My defensive DA/SA pistols are at 3lbs average on SA. I guess 1.5lbs is simply too light for me at the moment. 

Thanks for the response!

19 hours ago, hal1955 said:

I have the same issue. I changed to a Tanfo sear spring which has an extra coil and is a bit stiffer. It increased the single action pull by a few ounces. Still looking for something that will raise the single action to two pounds.

Interesting. I looked at the pictures online, and Tanfoglio (stock) sear spring looked like it had 4 coils? 5 if you count the legs? The CZ sear spring I count also the same? Did you have to modify the sear cage to make it fit?