Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pilla vs. Hunter's Gold

yekcoh

Hi guys,

I think my eyewear is long overdue from an upgrade. I've been using Oakley frame with cheap polycarbonate lenses from ebay for 25 bucks.

They get scratched easily and are horrible in contrast.

I noticed that at nationals, 9.5 out of 10 shooters were using Hunter's Gold. I tried it and it was pretty good. I just hated the frames.

Recently, one of my friends got Pillas. 

Based on a quick search, Hunter's gold uses PPG's pyrex whereas Pilla uses Zeiss's lenses.

I wanted to see if anyone has experience with both products and can speak of.

Obviously there is price differences but the ugly frame is really making me think twice about Hunter's gold, plus Pilla's frame looks incredibly comfortable.

I was looking at outlaw 6 and 7 series but I have no grasp on head sizes. I think it's best to see a dealer nearby but a quick search shows that

Las Vegas has no dealer.

Any advice on trying Pillas on?

Thanks,

Hunter’s Gold, can pretty much put their lenses in any frame. You have to contact them and see if they will do the frame that you choose.  I have a pair of Decots Reville frames and they said they could do them. I just haven’t done it yet. zeiss lenses are probably the best lenses out there, but paired with the Pilla frames the price is just crazy expensive. Hunter’s will also do prescription lenses, don’t know about the Pilla.

Those, glasses are apples and oranges apart. I have Pilla Panthers and they are killer, BUT holy crap almost 900 for the glasses and lens set! I won them at a shoot or I would never own a pair...In the shotgun world they pretty much dominate Sporting clay! Personally the Hunter Golds I have tried have been very nice. Depending on the Pilla's you will have prescription lens or with the Panther you have another set of glasses attached.  

16 minutes ago, MarkS_A18138 said:

Those, glasses are apples and oranges apart. I have Pilla Panthers and they are killer, BUT holy crap almost 900 for the glasses and lens set! I won them at a shoot or I would never own a pair...In the shotgun world they pretty much dominate Sporting clay! Personally the Hunter Golds I have tried have been very nice. Depending on the Pilla's you will have prescription lens or with the Panther you have another set of glasses attached.  

What kind of a match do you have to shoot to win these? You are a lucky one.

So, here is the story 2016 or 17 I placed pretty well in my division at Gator. I was ask to help out with the prize tables and while watching the table I noticed on each of the tables a brown cardboard box with nothing on it. I recognized the crappy looking box because my daughter is Pro shotgun shooter and her sponsor provides her with Pilla Sebrings, they come in the crappy cardboard box. I was 7th or so overall and watched everyone grab certs for guns and then it was my turn. The crappy box was right next to a gun cert and I grabbed it. People looked at me crazy until I opened the box! By the way in the 2016 or 17 time frame Pilla was mainstream glasses for the shotgun crowd and Max M was the only Pro pistol shooter wearing them at the time.   

On 6/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, MarkS_A18138 said:

So, here is the story 2016 or 17 I placed pretty well in my division at Gator. I was ask to help out with the prize tables and while watching the table I noticed on each of the tables a brown cardboard box with nothing on it. I recognized the crappy looking box because my daughter is Pro shotgun shooter and her sponsor provides her with Pilla Sebrings, they come in the crappy cardboard box. I was 7th or so overall and watched everyone grab certs for guns and then it was my turn. The crappy box was right next to a gun cert and I grabbed it. People looked at me crazy until I opened the box! By the way in the 2016 or 17 time frame Pilla was mainstream glasses for the shotgun crowd and Max M was the only Pro pistol shooter wearing them at the time.   

decided to stay crazy and placed an order for it...

I've got 2 pairs of Hunters HD, one the original Gold and one of the Clears. Both use very nice quality glass. Light transmission and contrast is much better than other stuff I have tried. For USPSA and SCSA in normal daytime conditions I absolutely love the Gold. For precision rifle and low light the clears are amazing. 

You can get pretty much any frame with Hunters glass. Brian has a bunch of pictures of the back of his van display with everything from Oakley to Rudy. 

I've seen Brian at a bunch of travel matches. Hunters has supported a massive amount of matches. Brian truly believes in growing the sport. When you make good products and you dedicate yourself to something it makes sense so many people support you in return. 

On 6/14/2021 at 7:56 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

I've got 2 pairs of Hunters HD, one the original Gold and one of the Clears. Both use very nice quality glass. Light transmission and contrast is much better than other stuff I have tried. For USPSA and SCSA in normal daytime conditions I absolutely love the Gold. For precision rifle and low light the clears are amazing. 

You can get pretty much any frame with Hunters glass. Brian has a bunch of pictures of the back of his van display with everything from Oakley to Rudy. 

I've seen Brian at a bunch of travel matches. Hunters has supported a massive amount of matches. Brian truly believes in growing the sport. When you make good products and you dedicate yourself to something it makes sense so many people support you in return. 

Yeah I like Hunter's HD as well. The only deal breaker is that his lens cutter isn't big enough for single piece glasses like oakley tombstone. I see a huge demand and he won't do it. Perhaps, it's a huge manufacturing limitation..?

Jumped into Pilla's with both feet as corrective lenses were needed.  Ordered the frame, lenses (2 colors) which came with a case but the larger case was also ordered.

The lenses met the prescription and are comfortable with the dual "tails" on the arms.

The second larger case was never shipped.  After several e-mails and no response, the $75 cost was written off.  Not going to order anything else from them as the cost is extreme and delivery is now very questionable.

BC

6 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Jumped into Pilla's with both feet as corrective lenses were needed.  Ordered the frame, lenses (2 colors) which came with a case but the larger case was also ordered.

The lenses met the prescription and are comfortable with the dual "tails" on the arms.

The second larger case was never shipped.  After several e-mails and no response, the $75 cost was written off.  Not going to order anything else from them as the cost is extreme and delivery is now very questionable.

BC

That's so messed up. Thanks for that info. 

I have both the Pilla's and Hunters HD Gold.  I personally like the fit of the Pilla Panther X7 with the post.  I originally ordered the regular X7 without actually testing them first but could not adjust the nose piece to sit on my Asian nose.  I reached out to Pilla and drove to their corporate headquarters in Connecticut.  I got to try a bunch of different frames and settled on the one with the post.  I also got to test a bunch of different lenses as well until I settled on the 3 I wanted.  It seems you can now buy the frame with one, two, three or four lenses.  I really only use two lenses and like the idea of not spending about 1k for the 3 lenses and frame.

The Hunters HD Gold was purchased more for driving as I like the thought of being able to see in low light situation.  I have tried their frames but their frames never fir my Asian nose either with the exception of the aviator and archer frames.  Neither offered sufficient protection from the side unless you put the plastic attachments on.  Brian started to offer the lenses in your own choice of frame at this time so I sent him my Oakley's and he put the lenses on.  I like them as they are on a frame that I like and it fits me well.  I have used them for night driving but could not really get used to them.

I like the full wrap lens of the Pilla Panther.  The main issue with the Pilla besides the price is that you need to change lenses depending on lighting conditions.  Switching lenses isn't that big of a deal as it is 3 buttons but you have to pay for at least 2 lenses.  The choice of lenses and frames can be very confusing if you cannot try the different ones on first.  I would strongly encourage trying to get to a dealer.  I know there are a few dealers that do travel.

The Hunters HD Gold can be done in your own frame provided it is not one big piece of glass.  The brightness of the glass will adjust with the lighting conditions so you only need to buy one set of lenses so it is cheaper to go with Hunters HD Gold.  My brother in law has a prescription on his Hunters HD Gold that uses for Archery.  They have to look thru the inside corner of their glasses to line up the peep sight with the fiber optic.  His old prescription glasses only corrected his sight at the middle so he tended to shoot without his glasses.  Brian understands the need to ensure the prescription goes all the way to the edges for archery in their prescription Archer frames.

I mainly compete with my Pilla's.  The Hunters HD Gold are my backup.  There isn't a significant difference between the two other than what I mentioned above.  I purchased the Pilla's before Brian @ Hunters HD Gold allowed lenses in your own frame.  I've tried the frames from Hunter's HD Gold in the past but could not get them to fit my nose and told Brian he needed some frames to fit Asians.  If I were to purchase now, I think sending Brian a frame to fit his lenses would be the better alternative and save the extra dollars for ammo (or a Glock for that matter).

Call Pilla! The owner himself is extremely helpful. Phillip is his name if im not mistaken. He gave us a killer deal on a pair with 3 lenses. He went as far as providing me with the three best lens colors he thought would suit my environment that I shoot mostly. Basically each covering any environment id come across in South LA. Changing the lens is beyond simple. comes in a nice hard case with a lock on it. Highly reccomend

Just now, Ccampo1129 said:

Call Pilla! The owner himself is extremely helpful. Phillip is his name if im not mistaken. He gave us a killer deal on a pair with 3 lenses. He went as far as providing me with the three best lens colors he thought would suit my environment that I shoot mostly. Basically each covering any environment id come across in South LA. Changing the lens is beyond simple. comes in a nice hard case with a lock on it. Highly reccomend

I have the Panther X7 by the way!