Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

win 244 and 147 gr

Hi 

I was using win 244 with Berry 124 gr bullets at 4.4-4.5gr 1.15 OAL. I mainly compete in action steel, and I occasionally have a harder time knocking over some of the stiffer reactive steel targets at the matches. Thinking about switching over to 147gr bullets, but keeping the same PF. Unfortunately no chrono (living in apartment, barely enough space as is). I was wondering if anyone has an established load with 147gr plated bullets and win 244 powder measuring around 140pf you recommend? TIA!

4.1 with 124gr is technically max, if using .356 bullets at 1.125. The data on 244 is a little weird with big jumps depending on oal and diameter. 

Max load with an xtp is only 136 pf. Im sort of mixed on 244 for 9mm so far. Maybe it's a better .40 and .45 powder. 

I see the date you are referencing. I am noting the BERB RNHP data with loads to 1.15coal. I actually saw an updated data with 145 gr rn loaded to 1.15 coal. Calling for 3.6gr. Will see how it goes. Pretty low.

Wanted to switch out to cfe pistol but apparently that is more for making major loads.

I just looked at some I had loaded with 135g RMR MW and 3.8g of 244 @ 1.09. They were running right at 998.3 FPS with 3 es. Accuracy was fair.   Also tried 3.8 of American Select, 993 FPS av, 10 es. Good accuracy. 
Win 244 does seem to work better in my 10mm for light loads like 165’s at 1050 ect but I need to mess with it a bit more in the 9. 

I liked cfe pistol quite a bit. 4.1-4.2gr is close to max and it'll get you about 140pf with the 147. I don't know about using it for major, but it does great for warmer loads in the middle or upper end of it's data. 

244 seems to struggle to get speed in 9mm while making more recoil than necessary. I think I'll move it over to .40sw, it makes major at min loads. Seems perfect there!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnePivot said:

I liked cfe pistol quite a bit. 4.1-4.2gr is close to max and it'll get you about 140pf with the 147. I don't know about using it for major, but it does great for warmer loads in the middle or upper end of it's data. 

244 seems to struggle to get speed in 9mm while making more recoil than necessary. I think I'll move it over to .40sw, it makes major at min loads. Seems perfect there!

Interesting note regarding the cfe! Will try it out when I use up win 244. What OAL for the cfe pistol load?

Edited by datderecelltech

8 hours ago, Farmer said:

I just looked at some I had loaded with 135g RMR MW and 3.8g of 244 @ 1.09. They were running right at 998.3 FPS with 3 es. Accuracy was fair.   Also tried 3.8 of American Select, 993 FPS av, 10 es. Good accuracy. 
Win 244 does seem to work better in my 10mm for light loads like 165’s at 1050 ect but I need to mess with it a bit more in the 9. 

It seems that win 244 does better with producing light loads at heavier calibers.. I feel like its in the fast-medium burn rate. is that why? 

I’m wondering if they are going to replace 231 with it. Has similar properties, you use less in some cases, it seems to burn cleaner but it also seems to peak quicker with heavier loads. Companies are trying to make their powders eco friendly and it seems when they do that it speeds them up or they spike in pressure more quickly or run higher psi. They also seem to fit in a more narrow niche.  Like Onepivot said it does seem to have more recoil to it, to me it feels snappier than some of the others. 

Edited by Farmer

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 8:20 AM, datderecelltech said:

It seems that win 244 does better with producing light loads at heavier calibers.. I feel like its in the fast-medium burn rate. is that why? 

Just for follow up, I tried 244 under a 230gr 45acp load at 4.3gr and it was a horrible mess. Arm covered elbow to wrist in black soot. Shot and felt ok, but it clearly wasn't burning it all. 

I think this powder might be best for making HOT .40sw. It's ok for range fodder in 9, but it's not good for shooting as fast as possible.