Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rimfire pistol recommendation for 10 year old

bofe954

Would like to start bring my 10 year old to matches...

Put this in the Ruger forum because I am currently thinking this:

1.jpg

Any other recommendations? Doesn't have to be ruger. Does have to be rimfire, and hopefully $3-500 price point. Holster, support equipment availability would be nice...

Anyone know of mag pouch and holsters for the ruger?

This pick was mainly because I debated buying this anyway and getting a suppressor...

Edited by bofe954

TademKross sells "Quick-Grip"magazine holders for Ruger Mk-series, S&W Victory, Browning Buckmarks and nearly any other .22LR semi auto.   These are very secure, fast to use and take up a minimum amount of belt space so you can carry several easily.   I have 6 of them for my MkIV and they are the best design I've ever seen.

They also sell the "Black Dog" kydex holster that takes all of the Mk-series models and the S&W Victory.  It is secure, fits the guns with a red dot mounted and is ambidextrous.  Again, I have one and it works great.

Browning 1911-22.  great size and easy to operate for small hands.  Trigger MUST be worked on prior to letting the youth shoot it.  M daughters came factory with a 8 1/4 lbs with the crisp feel of dragging a chain across the driveway. 

The Mark IV 22/45 is a great gun for a youth, or any one else.  Trigger pull can be pretty horrendous out of the box, but after installing the Volquartsen Accurizing Trigger it can be made into a reliable tack driver.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 9:31 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Great option. Lose the rear site and top rail, put a dot in the rear site dovetail, TandemKross bushing and Volquartsen sear and you'll be good to go as far as the pistol is concerned.

I'm not sure I agree.  Might be better to teach the kid how to shoot iron sights before introducing him to a red dot.  It will be harder to start, but I think he'll be better off.  It will be harder to learn iron sights after shooting a dot.  Just my $.02 worth.

9 hours ago, Cuz said:

I'm not sure I agree.  Might be better to teach the kid how to shoot iron sights before introducing him to a red dot.  It will be harder to start, but I think he'll be better off.  It will be harder to learn iron sights after shooting a dot.  Just my $.02 worth.

I agree to dis-agree!  I've taught many women and kids to shoot and have found the best progression to start with a red dot.  Trying to teach a beginner to line up 4 things, (eye, rear sight, front sight, target) while keeping the correct part in focus on the right part of the target AND learning grip, and trigger control at the same time, is not as easy as it sounds.  You are correct, it is MUCH harder to start, but it is MUCH easer to learn iron sights after they have learned all the other stuff like stance, grip, trigger control, etc...

Also with kids, near instant success at putting bullets on target gets a very positive reaction.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Found a 22/45. Going to just start with irons. Probably switch the front sight to a fiber. The 22/45 lightweight has a better rear sight than my old Mk2 target. Has a safety that is decent. I really like it, plan on keeping it after he's done. Might move my Mk2 down the road...

I have, and have owned any number of .22 pistols from major US manufacturers (Colt, Browning, High Standard, S&W, Ruger), and my go-to for most plinking and informal target shooting these days is the Ruger 22/45 I have.  Minor trigger work makes it great for the kinds of shooting I'm prone to do.  It's accurate and reliable.  The Mk II is a great pistol in itself, but the 22/45 fits my hand great, the balance is good, and it's hard for me to find anything wrong with it.  Not saying I'd keep it and get rid of the rest, but I do like it a lot.  If you've done much 1911 shooting I'd bet that you'll like it a lot too!  I can't imagine any young person who enjoys shooting that wouldn't love to have one.  Mine is not a lightweight; I find the lightweights are too hard to hold steady.