Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber .22 1911 Ammo Question

Salsantini

Recently got a Kimber .22 conversion kit.  I have tried the Federal Champion Bulk pack and it is does not always cycle.  I also have tried the Winchester M22 and that seems to cycle fine.  Interesting that the Federal is rated for 1200fps and the Winchester is rated for 1255fps.  Due to the limited availability of ammunition I was wondering what others have used successfully in their Kimber .22 1911's.

I have the same results as you with the Federal bulk pack. I get more problems, the warmer the gun gets.

But CCI minimags are flawless in it. Thousands of rounds through it, and never had a failure with the minimags.

If you are looking for mini mags check the CCI website every morning at 6 am or so.   They will show up a couple of times a week.  $.12 per round order 10 sleeves and the shipping is free.  Will have to wait a few weeks for shipping but the supply has been reliable.

Minimags are great and all, but it's a 22lr. Kinda defeats the purpose if it won't run on cheap garbage! 

Not quite the same, but I have an advantage arms kit that would jam 2-3 times per mag running cheap bulk ammo. I filed the feed ramp where it meets the chamber very very slightly. I fine sanded and polished every single surface that touched anything, including the recoil guide rod and rails. Jams maybe once every 100 rounds now, often not jamming at all for a range trip running.

The basic function is all the same. Id take that thing apart and start looking for any sort of sliding grit and friction in the slide. Bet you'll find some, and I bet fixing it will improve reliability.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:58 PM, OnePivot said:

Minimags are great and all, but it's a 22lr. Kinda defeats the purpose if it won't run on cheap garbage! 

Not quite the same, but I have an advantage arms kit that would jam 2-3 times per mag running cheap bulk ammo. I filed the feed ramp where it meets the chamber very very slightly. I fine sanded and polished every single surface that touched anything, including the recoil guide rod and rails. Jams maybe once every 100 rounds now, often not jamming at all for a range trip running.

The basic function is all the same. Id take that thing apart and start looking for any sort of sliding grit and friction in the slide. Bet you'll find some, and I bet fixing it will improve reliability.

You have to remember, these kits are made to go on a 1911 frame, that most likely fired 45acp. You still have the original hammer spring in the frame, that could be anywhere from 15lb-23lb in weight. That diminutive little 22LR has to overcome the inertia of pushing that hammer back on recoil. That is why most only function reliably with HV 22's. 

Now a dedicated 22 pistol will be much different, with a much lighter hammer spring. So cheap, standard velocity, and bulk ammo will most likely work in those guns.

And btw, that Kimber conversion kit is highly accurate with CCI minimags. I can easily hit small 3"-4" plates at 25 yds. And have won several 22 action pistol matches with it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, Postal Bob said:

You have to remember, these kits are made to go on a 1911 frame, that most likely fired 45acp. You still have the original hammer spring in the frame, that could be anywhere from 15lb-23lb in weight. That diminutive little 22LR has to overcome the inertia of pushing that hammer back on recoil. That is why most only function reliably with HV 22's. 

Now a dedicated 22 pistol will be much different, with a much lighter hammer spring. So cheap, standard velocity, and bulk ammo will most likely work in those guns.

And btw, that Kimber conversion kit is highly accurate with CCI minimags. I can easily hit small 3"-4" plates at 25 yds. And have won several 22 action pistol matches with it.

What weight mainspring are you using?

Over a decade ago my Kimber .22 conversion (Ceiner) would run 100% with the mini-mags.  Other ammo, not so much.  The GSG would eat anything.  The Ruger(s) Mk I to III were a bit fussy but the worst ammo was some Winchester (red plastic box).  Some 'old' Federal  (may have been CCI) is good to go in about any of them.  Polish the feed ramp etc, check the recoil spring etc.  The only one that ran 100% was my revolver(s).  But even then you get the odd FTF and it is the ammo not the gun.  Just a part of the fun of shooting!

CCI Minimags are definitely the most reliable but honestly, the 1911 conversions will have issues for all the reasons mentioned before.  You can play with the springs to try and give the slide a little more energy ejecting.  When I ran steel challenge, I tried conversions and other 22s but ultimately the old faithful Ruger 22/45 or other Mk variant was the best option.  Those with decent mags and Minimags will run 100% if clean.

• 2 months later...

I've found the Rugers to be much more forgiving with regard to infrequent cleaning and ammo selection.  I have a Kimber conversion and have used it on a couple of different lower receivers.  When clean and well oiled it ran with medium (1100+) and hot (1200+) .22 ammo.  As it gets dirty, medium velocity becomes a 90% proposition and then falls off, but the hotter ammo allows for uninteruppted shooting longer.  Adding a drop of two of oil helps.

Edited by Why

As mentioned earlier somewhere. Keep it clean and have plenty of oil. The slide is aluminum against steel if it is on a steel frame. My full custom Kimber is aluminum all of the way, slide and frame. It has to be wet.  I keep my Kimber wet and it has shot everything in it. I got it for my children to learn the 1911 platform, and I have had so many offers to buy it.  Clark Custom even done the front strap checkering on it when I was doing grips for them.

Great set up and enjoy yours, we have enjoyed ours.

Tommy Roupe

It's interesting that the only Federal 22lr ammo Advantage Arms recommends is Auto Match (which doesn't run well in my wife's Rugers.  I've brought my conversion out of storage to lower the cost of one of our two weekly practices.  Reloading 9mm is $$$.