Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Way to Remove Pin & Weld Comp

gerritm

Want to change a comp on a JP 9mm 14.5" barrel that is I am assuming is pinned & welded. Was not done by JP as it is not their comp and I have one that they did. Can see the single weld not sure if there is a pin under it as I bought it used. Better to use a die grinder and work slowly thru the weld or use a drill. Would be worried about drilling too deep and damaging the threads,

gerritm

Best way to do it is to mill the muzzle device down to the base of the threads like in the photo.  If you don't get down far enough to remove the entire length of the pin, you'll make a huge mess of the threads when you crank it off, and won't be able to attach another device.

removed.jpg.08cfa8ef74e78489d4ecd5939667de9e.jpg

On 6/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, rishii said:

I used a dremel with a sanding drum, took it down below flush to the comp until I saw the outline of the pin, then flipped it over and tapped with a hammer until the pin fell out

That's how I would do it. The pin itself should be fairly easy to tap out. 

On 6/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, rishii said:

I used a dremel with a sanding drum, took it down below flush to the comp until I saw the outline of the pin, then flipped it over and tapped with a hammer until the pin fell out

I'll vote for this too.  A hand file would probably work too.

I think your best bet is to just get a new barrel. Odds are pretty good that if you start grinding and or cutting you're going to end up needing a new barrel anyway. And this way you would still have the old comped barrel in good working order.

On 6/9/2021 at 4:42 PM, rishii said:

I'd try this first. If you can't get it off yourself then send to ADCO: 

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/remove-muzzle-device/

10 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

The photo I posted above is from Adco.  They do nice work.  I think they charge $45 to remove a pinned and welded muzzle device.

Thanks, still deciding on whether to remove it. 

gerritm

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Sell it and buy another one. Cheaper in the long run than thinking about it, trying to do it or trying to pay someone to do it. 

It's a pretty simple task.  And at $45, paying someone to do it is still going to be way cheaper than a new barrel.  Also, depending on what he's looking for, a new barrel may not be a viable option.  I've been looking for a decent quality 14.5" 5.56 barrel for close to a year now.  Still can't find one.

Edited by ltdmstr

2 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Sell it and buy another one. Cheaper in the long run than thinking about it, trying to do it or trying to pay someone to do it. 

It's on a 14.5 JP barrel that she loves. Have one on mine with JP tactical comp installed by them and absolutely the best barrel I have had. Eats any ammo and is super accurate. Couldn't find one other than this used one with the comp attached. Really want to keep it. Going to shoot a couple of more matches with it to decide. 

gerritm

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have pin and welded AR barrels and removed a number too.   You can only learn by doing things yourself if you want that experience  and the responsibility that comes with it.  That is how I learned  much of it that others said it's experienced gunsmith only or the stupid cop out comment I hate " If you have to ask then no"  grrr  So if you want the experience so be it.  Go slow and be conservative.

If it was pinned properly the threads had a pocket drilled or plunged just below the minor to capture the pin. I used a slight interference fit pin slight recess and tig weld.   Ground smooth and coated.  Oh and just in case yours wasn't I always to do it on the underside 6 oclock of the barrel where it's not highly visible..  Seen a few that were done on top for some reason.  I can see @ Itdmstr has as well from the look of some of those FS. If you pay careful attention to detail you can not even tell its been welded at all. Not always a good thing according to the ATF.  Just remember after it's removed you have to replace it before you ever mount that upper again and really better have a pistol or undesignated lower in your ownership.  You will need to pin-n-weld or silver braze the new one.   

With that understood......

I can tell you ADCO has a very good rep.  I have known Steve's work for,has to be, 20+ yrs now.   Has done countless (thousands) barrel profiling, chambering.  Very popular for precision threading for suppressors. He has dealt with it all and if the threads happen to somehow be buggered from the pin-n-weld he can clean them up or recut depending on profile.  He can also pin on the new one unless your going a pistol or nfa route.  To me, unless you want the technical experience I would send it to Steve@ADCO let him remove and install the new one.

Personally as a first one to remove and then pin and weld I would ideally chose a cheap $100 barrel not a match grade JP barrel.

Good luck.  If you choose to do it yourself post up some pics of the process and finished results.

ETA:  just saw the op date on this.  Assume it's long been done.  Need to pay attention when older threads are refreshed vs seeing them on in the recents.

Edited by tim_w