Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chronograph suggestions

Norther

My 12 year old Shooting Chrony isn’t working very well lately, and I’m thinking of replacing it. What are people getting these days? 

The Labradar looks good, but expensive. I like that it doesn’t rely on lighting, as lighting is often poor here in interior Alaska. Especially as I seem to do a fair amount of load development in the dark of winter. 

The Magnetospeed attaches to the barrel, so I think that’s out. I need it for pistols too. 

What else?

I bought a labradar about a year ago after trying to persist with a CED. 

So glad I did. 

Tonight I found out my wife and kid were going to be out so I needed to load some ammo with a new powder, go to the range, chrono it and come back home to load.

I was in and out of the pistol club in 10 minutes. It was 5pm, dark and raining. I shot under flouros. I shot 20 rounds with no missed shots.

That would have been a nightmare with the CED in those conditions. It struggled when the weather was good. 

I have been using the Pro Chrono for at least 15 years. It has always been close to match chronos at major matches. I really don't have a indoor facility where I can go downrange to set up a chrono, so I never used it indoors. To be fair, outside is available most of the year around here 🙂 . If, I was limited to indoors and doing a lot of load development, Lab Radar would be my choice.

I use the prochrono DLX as well, I like all the data hitting my phone real time while I'm shooting to make sure shots are registering and whatnot.

It's my first Chrono and really easy to use. Set up a string with your details, shoot the string, and store it for later reference.

I have a Magnetospeed and love it for the complete indifference to the amount, type or lack of ambient light.  Also, since it attaches to the firearm, you don't have to go in front of the firing line to set it up so you can use and adjust it while the range is hot.

It will work with almost any type of long gun or revolver and there is an adapter available to attach it to semi-autos with Picatinny slots on the dust cover like the S&W M&P many others.  It will also work on an exposed barrel pistol like a Ruger Mk-series or S&W Victory.

4 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Another vote for the Pro Chrono DLX.  And download the free desktop and/or mobile app.  I had to buy their Indoor Lighting system to get consistent results. 

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-dlx/

This with the phone app works for me.  In difficult outdoor lighting I take a  large sharpie and paint the bullets black and seems to help.

I second what dansedgli said about Labradar. I can chrono 5 different loads from 3 guns in less than 30 minutes. If I am doing rifles I can get velocity out to 200 yards easily. This needs a good tripod, no pistol rest to keep from shooting the chronograph or screens. It works any time of the day, any time of year.

If the labradar had the Prochrono DLX bluetooth app it would be perfect. 

I really liked the app when I borrowed a friends prochrono when my CED was being a jerk. That one had some trouble with the lighting conditions also though which was frustrating. 

7 hours ago, dansedgli said:

If the labradar had the Prochrono DLX bluetooth app it would be perfect. 

I really liked the app when I borrowed a friends prochrono when my CED was being a jerk. That one had some trouble with the lighting conditions also though which was frustrating. 

I agree, I replaced my very old shooting chrony last year, and looked at the Labradar and ProChrono DLX. I went with the ProChrono because of the app. I’m very happy with it, and the price was very reasonable. I used it a lot this past year only because I’ve been shooting so many different bullet brands. Normally once I lock in a load, the chrono sits on the shelf for a long time before I need it again, only if I have to work up a new load. It’s a great value. 

30 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I agree, I replaced my very old shooting chrony last year, and looked at the Labradar and ProChrono DLX. I went with the ProChrono because of the app. I’m very happy with it, and the price was very reasonable. I used it a lot this past year only because I’ve been shooting so many different bullet brands. Normally once I lock in a load, the chrono sits on the shelf for a long time before I need it again, only if I have to work up a new load. It’s a great value. 

What is special about the mobile app?

The app keeps your data handy so you always have it with you, and you can also email yourself a .csv  file with the data so if your handy with Excel or a database you can import all your load data and do all kinds of things with it. 

I really like the Caldwell chrono, having the app is great to save data and it’s very accurate. It’s always been on with the chronos at level 2 matches when comparing to my saved data.

I’m leaning pretty hard towards the ProChrono because of price. The LabRadar tops $600 when you add in the extra trigger I’d need. Some of the things I shoot are pretty quiet. Does anyone have any experience with the LabRadar shooting quiet things? Or with their airgun/archery trigger?

15 hours ago, Norther said:

I’m leaning pretty hard towards the ProChrono because of price. The LabRadar tops $600 when you add in the extra trigger I’d need. Some of the things I shoot are pretty quiet. Does anyone have any experience with the LabRadar shooting quiet things? Or with their airgun/archery trigger?

I noticed that the temp range is 20-100 deg. Would this be a problem for you? Maybe someone has used it at lower temps will chime in. 
My brother cured the lighting problem on his Chrony by putting a couple of those oval HF led flashlights on top of the diffusers. Works great!

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

I noticed that the temp range is 20-100 deg. Would this be a problem for you? Maybe someone has used it at lower temps will chime in. 
My brother cured the lighting problem on his Chrony by putting a couple of those oval HF led flashlights on top of the diffusers. Works great!

I have not use mine outside of that temp range, but into the 90’s with no problems. I like how the ProChrono app pulls the current temp and barometric pressure from your location when you shoot a string. 

I’m not going to say the ProChrono DLX is better than the Labradar, but I don’t think anyone will argue it’s a better value.  I’ve used mine a lot over this past year because COVID has me trying many different brands, shapes, and weights of bullets. But once I dial in the load I like for each one it will go back on the shelf until I am forced to change my load again, which may not be for another 5 years. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:45 PM, Farmer said:
On 6/11/2021 at 7:30 AM, Norther said:

I noticed that the temp range is 20-100 deg. Would this be a problem for you?

It might. I sometimes want it to work much colder than that. But I chrono most of the time right outside my garage and bring the chrono back inside between strings. 

Norther, buy the ProChrono DLX along with an IR light kit.  It will accurately measure anything from a .177" pellet to the biggest round you have.  I use the IR kit from a defunct Caldwell unit.  It can be powered with AA batteries.  The ProChrono battery power is less convenient.  The Caldwell kit can be purchased separately, and fits perfectly.