Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Devices

Silver_Surfer

Typically a brake reduces recoil which contributes in a couple of ways.  Less movement means you can keep the scope on target and see your impacts.  Faster followup shots.  Less shoulder fatigue.  A suppressor may or may not provide the same, along with courtesy of being quiet.

Course what type of precision shooting you are doing also matters since some formats do not allow muzzle devices.

There is also a whole discussion that brakes help by reducing air turbulence at the muzzle, but the article pro and con on that topic are way above my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Muzzle devices can provide several different benefits. In the case of the boss system it was a method to tune the vibration (harmonics) of a barrel. On larger diameter stiff barrels it provides less effect. For me personally I look for reduced recoil/muzzle movement. My 3gun rifle has one for the purpose of muzzle movement, and my Hunting rifle (338) for recoil. I also have one on my LR rig, but its as noted above, the reduced movement helps me see hits down range. In testing I have done, I have not found any difference in accuracy. My experience has lead me to believe a rifle will be accurate.......or it won't. If your rifle isn't up to your accuracy expectations, a muzzle device is not the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with mpeltier 100%.  After shooting a larger rifle all day, I'll take any benefit I can get, including comfort.  We all have our fatigue limit while shooting, the point at which not matter how hard we try, out fatigue overcomes our skills.  My muzzle brakes help me extend that time. 

I've tested quite a few popular muzzle brakes, not all for sure, and there is a difference in recoil with a muzzle brake.  Some changes are dramatic.  My only problem is that some of the muzzle brakes are way too expensive for what they are.  The Venom Defense muzzle brakes work incredibly well (I have them on all my guns) and they are priced correctly. 

Please note that I'm not frugal at all, so if there was a muzzle brake that REALLY worked incredibly well and it was $200, I would have it on all my rifles.

Full disclosure, I am not sponsored by Venom nor have I rec'd any promotional benefit from them, I just like their product.  I've tested it to prove it works incredibly well for me, as well as it's price point is great, especially if you have a few rifles.

• 2 weeks later...

imo i think it depends on what you mean by "precision shooting" and "target".

theres more tactical shooting like PRS (where the majority of muzzle devices are brakes iirc) and then there's bullseye target shooting like benchrest. brakes would be better for PRS style because it reduces muzzle rise, felt recoil and helps in shot follow up and tuners more for bench rest.

as for hunting, you probably dont need either one tbh. neither PRS nor hunting require the level of accuracy you would want a tuner for but you can i suppose.

ofc. i run a brake on everything i can because i just think it looks cool. and looking cool is obviously the most important part. bonus points if the brake is flush with the barrel and the same finish.

Edited by Teeto

• 2 months later...

Agree with everything posted.  I do know that on my 18" AR-10 in 308, when shooting it from the bench without the brake, it is a 2" rifle at 100.  Add the brake, of coarse the blast is worse, but the same ammo goes to 3/4" at 100. All in the harmonics in that barrel for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Some brakes can disturb the way gas exits that causes inaccuracies.   I perticulary don't know which ones do that, but it happens.   I put a 40 dollar brake on a 338lm and it's a great gn for never loosing sight.   Recoil is extremely low and accuracy is very good even with IMI 250smk.   Ultradyne has worked very well in all caliber guns I've installed then on.   1 being/making it more accurate, I don't know.   I test with and without just in case.   

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2021 at 10:46 PM, Robertwil18 said:

Area 419 Hellfire or their new Hellfire Match is my go to for precision competition when i am not using a suppressor. 

Another vote here for the Area 419 Hellfire Match if not using a suppressor. Another good option is the Ultradyne Apollo Max. 

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, Sokam101 said:

Breaks will help a ton. Look at the ACE break, 419 hell fire if you like pissing people off or the apa fat Ba$tard

Unless it's a linear brake (if you can call it that) all will be your neighbor's irritation.   Radials are a little better.