Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

beretta 92x open gun

4 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

If it mimics the checkmate deal it’s not a bad price. 
but it’s gotta come with 

1-170mm

2-141mm mags

and a optics mount. 
factory warranty 😁 

Hopefully they are actually 170 and 140s, unlike the CM which both require $35-50 extensions to get them out to the correct lengths. 

12 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

I have a hard time thinking why would someone want to put $4k into a beretta open gun. I was going to assume the cost would be much lower? What's the appeal?

Agree 100%

JJ is going to have a hard time moving the needle on this one.

It is seriously a Franken-gun

From the very few people whome I know that have shot JJ's, one a close friend, they all say the gun runs awesome and recoil is very good. Not sure about longevity but honestly the 92 series is a pretty tough pistol. Slide is already light as s#!t as well. 

17 hours ago, hello0o0o0o said:

Can't decide on this or the czechmate...

Honestly, if this doesn't have mag reliability issues, then it will be an amazing option.

Have you looked at the Bul Armory open race guns (Ultimate Racer, UR Shorty, Bullesteros, etc.)?

The amount of time it's been in the prototype phase, sounds to me like they're having issues with turning a one-off custom into something that can be mass produced. When they build it for JJ, he's able to tech his own guns and tune them. The amount of support they have to provide for that is minimal, since it's one shooter. They would have to put a lot of resources into tooling and production and support if they started offering it to the masses.

The point of the Beretta Open Gun is for marketing purposes. They sponsor JJ, and they need him shooting their pistol. So, would it even be worth retooling their production line to build more? The market is incredibly small, and I doubt there is enough demand for it, and the competition in the market is fierce. The point of sponsoring JJ is to show what a Beretta _can_ do at the extreme end of the scale, and show that Beretta pistols are competitive and entice people to buy the product (but not the actual Open gun). It's really the same arrangement that Sig has with Max Michele, where they have a sponsored shooter who shoots their handgun and shows how good they are, and then they use that to sell to their traditional customers (military/police/security). The customers that actually order hundreds and thousands of Sig and Beretta pistols and keep Beretta and Sig in business aren't buying them in configurations for Open or Carry Optics. They're just buying the standard base models, but in huge quantities.

It's similar to F1 racing. You're not going to go buy the F1 that Mercedes builds for races and use it as your daily driver. But they market you the idea that "the very same engine you drive to your office job at 65mph is the same engine our F1 car had in it when it flipped at Le Mons" (even though, just like Open division in this sport, the F1 mercedes isn't mass produced and is highly customized). That's the beauty of marketing, they can just say "look what our pistols _could do_" and the police/military/security customers will go "wow that's awesome" and then order the pistols in regular configurations.

Not knocking beretta. I have had a 92 since the late 90s. But never used it in a single uspsa match. Seems I have always had a gun that fit into whatever division better than my ol 92. If they could make an inexpensive open gun without a decocker I'd understand. Watching JJ use a 1 off gun doesn't change my opinion of my 92 either way. I bet he could kick ass with a yeet cannon. I honestly can't think of any new shooter picking a 92 to shoot in any division, over some of the other guns at the same price point, unless they just really liked the looks of the beretta or mel gibson lethal weapon fans - if there is such a thing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 11:31 AM, sc68cal said:

The amount of time it's been in the prototype phase, sounds to me like they're having issues with turning a one-off custom into something that can be mass produced.

This is what I heard as well, and the other issue is the longevity of the the gun. 

On 6/8/2021 at 6:53 AM, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Any of these guns out there yet ? 
besides JJ’s 

I saw an ad once about those coming out this year but I don’t think it will, doesn’t seem practical for them to do