Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik not re-setting the striker.

pitvpr

I just picked up a used Canik SFx a few weeks ago that has a re-set issue. The gun came with a Freedomsmith trigger installed.

The issue is that the striker will not re-set when racking the slide as your holding the trigger down.

The gun WILL re-set the striker “every time” when the slide is racked and the trigger is not being depressed. And, interestingly enough will re-set the striker while holding the trigger BUT ONLY if the slide is pulled back all the way to end of travel.

However, it will not re-set the striker is the trigger is being held and the slide racked to less than 90% of it’s rearward travel.

I though it might have been a spring issue so I did replace the existing springs with a new Galloway Precision Reduced Power spring kit, (blocker and trigger return).

This is not resolve the issue.

Anyone can give me a suggestion, would be appreciated.

20 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Sound like you need to remove material from the front of the trigger to increase pre travel so that the trigger can reset.

The trigger resets, that's not the issue, the gun shoots.

The issue is that the striker is not resetting when you rack the slide while holding down the trigger. 

The striker ONLY resets if the slide is racked WITHOUT holding the trigger.

I spoke with Freedomsmith about this, and they had the following response:

“ordinarily this is a plug and play installation. Unless there have been some type of modifications or damage done during installation. Such as lighter weight springs that might preclude proper reset. Or bending of the action bar during installation (common when using the non removal of action components method, which is never recommended). I will seek other opinions and perhaps someone has heard of”

6 hours ago, pitvpr said:

IMG_3321.thumb.JPEG.019596744355ce867817c72af7249d93.JPEG

IMG_3323.JPEG

IMG_3322.JPEG

Is the little spring on the inside of the striker lining?  

I don't know of that little spring missing would.cause this but it's worth checking. 

If it's there I'd check the trigger bar or "action bar" isn't bent.  Removing the little pin in the take down tab is probably the most difficult thing about removing the fire control parts. So, some people don't and might bend stuff unintentionally. I think that's what freedomsmith is referring to. 

The problem you face is, you might not the able to tell if it's bent. If you can't figure out what the issue is, you'll probably have to buy a new internal parts or seeing if you can get canik USA to take a look at it. 

It looks like you have an older one but the looks of that striker channel. 

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, fl_maven said:

Was there ever a solution to this? Have the exact same thing happening to mine. 

I recently had this problem and as far as I can tell, it does have something to do with the action bar.  If it's bent, I can't see where, but when I put the bar from my second Canik in, it worked fine.  The bar that would not work only seems to work with the trigger shoe it came attached to - even another Canik OEM trigger shoe of the exact same type will not work in conjunction with it.

The action bar is like $15, I'd probably try a new one and see if it resolves the issue.

2 hours ago, fbzero said:

I recently had this problem and as far as I can tell, it does have something to do with the action bar.  If it's bent, I can't see where, but when I put the bar from my second Canik in, it worked fine.  The bar that would not work only seems to work with the trigger shoe it came attached to - even another Canik OEM trigger shoe of the exact same type will not work in conjunction with it.

The action bar is like $15, I'd probably try a new one and see if it resolves the issue.

Thank you fbzero, will give that a shot. 

No problem, hope it works for you.  I'd say it's the most likely fix based on what I saw.  Hope you'll report back here to help others in a similar situation, wasn't much info out there to go on when I had the problem myself.  

What would be really nice is if we could find out if the bars that don't work are actually bent, or if they are out of spec in some other way.  Couldn't find any noticeable bend in mine, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

6 hours ago, fbzero said:

No problem, hope it works for you.  I'd say it's the most likely fix based on what I saw.  Hope you'll report back here to help others in a similar situation, wasn't much info out there to go on when I had the problem myself.  

What would be really nice is if we could find out if the bars that don't work are actually bent, or if they are out of spec in some other way.  Couldn't find any noticeable bend in mine, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

Still waiting on the new bar to come in. Boils down to either that being the issue or freedomsmith mentions shaving off some portion of the trigger for reset issues. Before cutting up an $85 dollar trigger, I find its a good idea to try a $15 part first (the part you mentioned). Will definitely report back with my findings for anyone stumbling across this thread in the future. Thanks again, fbzero.

Installed the new bar, resetting correctly with dry fire. Put 300 rounds through over the Labor Day weekend and she's working like a dream, not a single issue or hiccup! My guess would be that when taking out the pin that connects the action bar to the OEM trigger (or when connecting the new trigger to the action bar) I must've bent the bar when punching it in/out. For anyone installing a trigger in the future, find a good way to leverage the action bar that doesn't strain it when punching out the trigger pin. If you end up stumbling across this forum after installing the new trigger, it's too late lol, order a new action bar, or you can try to bend it back although that would be pretty difficult as it's hard to notice a difference between my stock action bar and a new one. Thanks again, fbzero, I wish ya well.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:54 AM, fl_maven said:

Installed the new bar, resetting correctly with dry fire. Put 300 rounds through over the Labor Day weekend and she's working like a dream, not a single issue or hiccup! My guess would be that when taking out the pin that connects the action bar to the OEM trigger (or when connecting the new trigger to the action bar) I must've bent the bar when punching it in/out. For anyone installing a trigger in the future, find a good way to leverage the action bar that doesn't strain it when punching out the trigger pin. If you end up stumbling across this forum after installing the new trigger, it's too late lol, order a new action bar, or you can try to bend it back although that would be pretty difficult as it's hard to notice a difference between my stock action bar and a new one. Thanks again, fbzero, I wish ya well.

Awesome, very happy to hear that this resolved your issue!

• 2 weeks later...