Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black nitride and lazer engraving

Bakerjd

Anyone have pics of a gun that's been black nitride coated and lazer engraved? I am wanting to see it before I decide if I want to lazer engrave before or after coating. Will be on a 1911 stainless steel slide. 

Thanks,

Joshua Baker

Just my two cents: watch your temps on the nitriding; you could get some distortion or make it brittle (400-580C). I've had some stainless medical devices that rusted after laser engraving as well. Also, nitriding is a surface treatment, not a coating. Would recommend laser engraving followed by DLC. I've had some distortion issues from CrN but DLC is usually quite a bit lower temperature.

2 hours ago, Silverscooby27 said:

I’ve had the same experience of distortion/warping/things not fitting well anymore after black nitride.

Just curious as to who did the work.  I've had quite a few guns done by H&M and never had a problem.  They also do a lot of OEM stuff, like Defiance rifle actions that have very tight tolerances and see pressures way beyond typical handgun rounds.

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Just curious as to who did the work.  I've had quite a few guns done by H&M and never had a problem.  They also do a lot of OEM stuff, like Defiance rifle actions that have very tight tolerances and see pressures way beyond typical handgun rounds.

Was just about to say the same thing. I actually have a defiance action sotting I  the safe waiting for me to do something with. And we, Prasky Gunworks,  use H&M a lot. Never an issue. 

I had a gun get nitrided by H&M and just needed to touch up the firing pin hole after it came back. Minimal changes in tolerances, but still sometimes you get a little extra in places that are already pretty tight. No big deal, just a couple swipes with a needle file and back in business. It still does tighten up some of the tolerances and you need to be aware of it though.