Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting red dot in slide as compared to a frame mount.....which is now preferred?

wanttolearn

may i ask, why is the raised frame mount generally preferred? is the red dot more stable that way, easier to pick up?

would one positioning tend to be more accurate than the other?

in general it appears that an frame mount raises the optic considerably higher. 

For one thing, a frame mount puts less stress on your mRDS. Open guns already break optics without making them cycle with the slide. 

I'd say it's usually easier to pick up a dot and track dot bounce on an frame mount since the sight doesn't move with the slide when shooting.

I shoot with two Open major shooters who have their dots slide mounted.  One of them I know has used the same DP V1 for the last 5-6 years.  No problems with either.  I prefer SROs so I can't mount them directly to the slide unless I use some sort of adapter plate.  All of my Open guns have frame mounted dots.  My other non-major competition guns have slide mounted dots.

There is zero difference in picking up the dot whether slide or frame mounted.  You practice until the dot comes up on target every time.  You do that with either.  The problem comes in when you try to switch between them.  You'll likely play find the dot for a while until you retrain your muscle memory for the new gun.

• 2 months later...

I recently got my STI milled for a Leupold DPP, before that i had a frame mount. 

I dont really feel that big of a difference 🤷‍♂️ in theory the frame mount might be easyer to track... But i dont notice it. 

I find it a bit easyer to pick up the dot, since it is mounted lower and will be where your irons would have been. Thats feels more natural to me. But again... Not that big of a difference. 

Tracking the dot is no problem with the right load. 

STI.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 5:13 AM, Rasmilling said:

I recently got my STI milled for a Leupold DPP, before that i had a frame mount. 

I dont really feel that big of a difference 🤷‍♂️ in theory the frame mount might be easyer to track... But i dont notice it. 

I find it a bit easyer to pick up the dot, since it is mounted lower and will be where your irons would have been. Thats feels more natural to me. But again... Not that big of a difference. 

STI.jpg

Who did the milling for your slide to mount the dot?

A lot of people find frame mounted dots "easier to track" because it's not moving with the slide. Here's a news flash for you. You're not going to see the dot whole the gun is cycling anyway. And quite frankly, if you are, you're doing it all wrong. If you are focused on the dot transitioning to the next target you are going to overshoot the target and have to readjust. Once the shot fires I don't care where the sights go. My eyes are shifting to the next target and I bring the sights to my visual focus on the target.  Believe it or not, if you have mastered your index, your body can FAR more easily stop your, gun with the sights aligned, on the target.

Try this: Hold your arm out straight and point to something on the wall. Then track your finger to a chosen point on the opposite wall. Now do the same drill again but ignore where your finger is an visually acquire the second target as you turn. I'm betting the second way is quicker for you. And it is no different with a gun. Hardest part is mastering your index, which you should have done by now anyway.

On 8/11/2021 at 5:13 AM, Rasmilling said:

STI.jpg

I did the same thing in 1999, I sent my .38 Super STI slide to Arredondo, he cut it for my Doctor Optic and sold me a double battery mount. I enjoyed it for most of a season, but the cycling was tough on the optic.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time finding someone in timely fashion to change out my frame mount.  I finally ran out of spare parts for my holosight on my Casipan and need to change mounts. I only run for steel anymore so I figured it would be an easy change out and potentially reuse the existing holes.

Yep, way better. But you do whatever turns you on. Carry optics is a minor division. You need to shoot major in Open. Good luck having a dot survive Open mounted on the slide. This all pretty simple but some people need to find out for themselves because they lay in bed thinking about why things are as they are.

20 hours ago, Jpodi said:

“Guns guys” vs competitive shooters. This board is geared toward the latter, so you’ll see more recommendations for frame mount because it’s better. 

I mean, 2 gun and 3 gun shooters are still competitive shooters