Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is the romeo 1 pro worth it?

jimbullet

It has been advertised that the Romeo 1 pro on the x5 legion does not need a mounting plate and therefore would sit lower in the slide compared to having put another optic brand which will then require a mounting plate.

I have seen several mounting plates in the market but my question is, is it worth the extra money to buy the Romeo 1 Pro instead and have that advantage of the optic supposedly sitting lower in the slide? 

Does it really help that the optic sits lower making it more of a natural pointing gun so to speak? Does it really make a difference where the dot is?

I am new to the Sig platform having come from a 2011 platform for quite a while. Usually when shifting from a standard gun to an open gun, I find that I have to lower the gun a bit just because the red dot sight sights very high and I have known some people mount their cmore optics sideways on a 90 degree to get the lens closer to the bore (I havent managed to look through on one of these though).

I guess my question is, compared to the height of the iron sights, replacing it with the Romeo 1 pro, does the dot actually sit at the height of where the rear sight would have been?

47 minutes ago, terrydoc said:

What other rds are you thinking of using? The Legion was built to be compatible with either the DPP or the R1pro as direct mount.

I could purchase an optic mount and then put say a burris fast fire 3 which I already have in the cupboard but the mounting plate would make the dot higher. If I put the romeo, it sits lower but is it as low as to where the rear sight was which means I wont have any issues in "retraining" to present the gun lower to see the red dot.

It seems pretty common for newer dot shooters to worry about the height of the plate. The addition of a mounting plate makes little to no difference. I have guns with and without and there is no effective difference. 

The important thing is to dryfire and build a good index with whatever setup you end up with. 

the Sig sight is a Better sight than the FF3 but if your happy with the FF3 or just on a budget using a mounting plate and having the dot higher will cost you 0% in terms of performance. 

people seem to get all twisted around the axle about dot to bore height but then we all get smashed by guys running open guns with old fashioned upright Cmores 

6 hours ago, Rich406 said:

It seems pretty common for newer dot shooters to worry about the height of the plate. The addition of a mounting plate makes little to no difference. I have guns with and without and there is no effective difference. 

The important thing is to dryfire and build a good index with whatever setup you end up with. 

I guess that is what I'm trying to see, whether there is any difference. I have had some people tell me that lower sitting dot is better because it is faster to acquire when drawing from the holster versus when the dot is sitting high then when presenting the gun, the tendency is trying to find the dot therefore making that first shot slower.

11 minutes ago, jimbullet said:

I guess that is what I'm trying to see, whether there is any difference. I have had some people tell me that lower sitting dot is better because it is faster to acquire when drawing from the holster versus when the dot is sitting high then when presenting the gun, the tendency is trying to find the dot therefore making that first shot slower.

It makes zero difference. 

separate question, the website says the Romeo 1 Pro objective lens is 30mm and I suppose this is the diameter from left to right. Does anyone know what the measurement of the objective lens might be top to bottom? I cant find any info, considering its not a circular lens that would be 30mm diameter equally.

The height is a tiny bit smaller than a rts2, but it’s a lot wider, I direct mounted mine to my legion  and once I figure out I suck with a striker gun I switched to a old 5906 with dovetail mount.  I thought the height difference would be a big deal, but it’s wasn’t 

we have used a dpp (direct mount) and romeo3 max with a plate on our legion. There is zero noticeable difference due to the extra couple mm of the plate. OTOH, the romeo3 max is VERY noticeably better in terms of brightness and crispness.