Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin bushing erosion on my friend's 627

ysrracer

When mine started doing that, I attributed it to the firing pin bushing being dished out (convex) that allowed the primer to escape gas around its sides.  You could see the primers being dished in.  So I punched the bushing out and ground/filed the front of the bushing flat (the way they used to be).  After putting the flat bushing back in, no more gas cutting of the bushing.  And its been that way for years.  My load isn't quite as hot as your friend's and the cutting wasn't nearly as bad, but in spots, it looked the same.

That looks to have damaged more than the bushing, looks to be into the frame. I'd send it home for a visit.

That powder charge in below book max, but that assumes the primer and brass is the same as what the book specifies.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=36

How many rounds of this did he shoot thru the gun?

22 minutes ago, PatJones said:

How many rounds of this did he shoot thru the gun?

Ha ha, my gun has at least 15,000-17,000 rounds thru it, and mine is in pristine condition. His has 3,000 rounds thru it.

I’m far from an expert but I’d take some new brass and shoot it.  Looks like loose primer pockets?  You can see the gas is escaping.  Just need to figure out if it’s the guns fault or the brass.  Or the primers?

49 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I vote for "hot loads with Tula primers". 

What did I win Johnny?

Your friend won douche bag of the year as when he first noticed the damage he kept firing these. If you want to shoot magnum loads get new brass and only shoot new brass and good primers. When the damage was first noticed he should have stopped then and figured it out before it got to the point of where it is at now. Send it to S&W and hopefully they will fix at no cost if not I will give him $5.00 and he pays the shipping. 

14 minutes ago, revoman said:

Your friend won douche bag of the year as when he first noticed the damage he kept firing these. If you want to shoot magnum loads get new brass and only shoot new brass and good primers. When the damage was first noticed he should have stopped then and figured it out before it got to the point of where it is at now. Send it to S&W and hopefully they will fix at no cost if not I will give him $5.00 and he pays the shipping. 

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe. I noticed it this morning in the range parking lot :)

Just now, ysrracer said:

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe. I noticed it this morning in the range parking lot :)

Did he not notice it if he had fired 3000 round or at least clean it once.

Happened to me using Fed small magnum primers from the last drought,

stopped using them and went back to Fed small pistol and it didn't get any worse.

(top pic is a 610 and bottom pic is my slide off my 6" 9mm)

DSC01175.JPG

DSC01178.JPG

Edited by 10mmdave

Odd.  I used a lot of FED200’s when they were a few $ cheaper.  No issues. I’m finding the magnums are either cheaper the same and usually more available up here.  More $ than last year however.

I think it's a combination of hot loads, crappy range brass, and noon magnum primers.

Gas is just blowing past them, eating away at the bushing. I just hope it hasn't effected the frame. I'm still waiting on a picture of the area after it's been cleaned.

This pitting is from leakage around the primer like was called out above. 

This can happen from loads too light to seal the primer, or loads too hot to hold it. Primer/brass relationship have plenty to do with this too. 

I bought a gun that only had 10-15k on it, but they were all light loads with a slow powder. The erosion was much worse than this example. 

As always, if you want it done once, right and anytime soon- never send it back to the factory. 

6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I keep my loads soft. For ICORE I'm going for a 120.5 power factor :)

That is to close for comfort as depending on the temperature and altitude at different ranges you might not pass crono. I try to settle around 130 so I can make both ICORE and USPSA. 

8 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I keep my loads soft. For ICORE I'm going for a 120.5 power factor :)

I thought the same.  However at a match last year I ran out of 121 pf ammo and only had hotter ones (129) from a run on my new press.  Turns out the hotter ones returned the sights quicker.

My loads at the Rocky mtn regional in 2019 were 120.35!