Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taran Tactical Basepad question

Ted Murphy

Not fitting the USPSA gauge is not entirely on TTI. Fitting the gauge is a function of the magazine and the basepad combined, not the basepad alone. Mags for mass produced firearms can and do vary enough to cause the combo (sometimes) not to fit the gauge. Close only counts in horsehoes and hand grenades! That is why it is always best to check gauge fit "before" taking the mags to a match where they are checking, or even to a club match for that matter.

1 hour ago, Ted Murphy said:

Ran into a TTI that  did not fit the gauge Sunday. Was trying to see what the problem was

I have heard of people having to shave a base pad to fit. Happened to someone I know shooting open with Taran pads. 

I would give TTI a call and see what they say. Report back here with what they say. 

1 hour ago, Edwards30 said:

I have heard of people having to shave a base pad to fit. Happened to someone I know shooting open with Taran pads. 

I would give TTI a call and see what they say. Report back here with what they say. 

Not my mags. I was just the guy at chrono giving the bad news. Just seemed odd since I gauged a boatload of TTI mags and only that guys mags were a problem. 

I was wondering why, and thought the answer might be he accidentally bought the longer base pads

Edited by Ted Murphy

I use TTI +5/6 base pads with Glock OEM 17 round mags. If you use some fine grit sandpaper and sand the back corners of the feed lips your mags will fit the 171MM mag guage. Your goal is to break the corner. The back corner prevents the magazine from laying into the back of the mag gauges. Lay the sand paper on a flat surface and sand the corner of the magazine then check it in the guage, keep working the magazine until it fits. It does not take as much as you might think. The arrows in the pic point to where to sand. Don't just sand the corners you need to lay the back  edge on the paper as you sand. Also make certain the the retention pin that stick up on the back of the base pad is fully pushed in so that it i recessed into the bottom of the magazine. I push the retention pin on the edge of a table to make certain that it is recessed or at a minimum flush. If this pin sticks down any at all it interferes with the fit in the guage.

Glock Mag.jpg

4 hours ago, Nightforce said:

I use TTI +5/6 base pads with Glock OEM 17 round mags. If you use some fine grit sandpaper and sand the back corners of the feed lips your mags will fit the 171MM mag guage. Your goal is to break the corner. The back corner prevents the magazine from laying into the back of the mag gauges. Lay the sand paper on a flat surface and sand the corner of the magazine then check it in the guage, keep working the magazine until it fits. It does not take as much as you might think. The arrows in the pic point to where to sand. Don't just sand the corners you need to lay the back  edge on the paper as you sand. Also make certain the the retention pin that stick up on the back of the base pad is fully pushed in so that it i recessed into the bottom of the magazine. I push the retention pin on the edge of a table to make certain that it is recessed or at a minimum flush. If this pin sticks down any at all it interferes with the fit in the guage.

Glock Mag.jpg

That is right where the guys mags hung up

On 6/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, Ted Murphy said:

Ran into a TTI that  did not fit the gauge Sunday. Was trying to see what the problem was

Common issue. They're supposed to fit, but often don't...

On 6/6/2021 at 8:35 PM, Malarky112 said:

Was this at MidAtlantic?  If so he was CO and needed to make the 141,   He was bummed he was bumped to open but this was his first big match and he's only been shooting a short time.  

It was Mid A and I felt so bad for the shooter. 

I just bought the same base, though for an open gun.  I wanT to gauge my mag to see if it’s any different. 

Edited by Ted Murphy

Too many shooters don’t gauge anything until it fails at a major. I keep a gauge and a prod box on hand for my locals and not many people take me up on the courtesy to check their gear. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:19 AM, Nightforce said:

Glock Mag.jpg

Exactly where I find mine hanging up though I swear I can see daylight, but will be doing this to mine.  I'm using a Gen 4 magazine, not sure if the problem would exist with earlier ones.

On 6/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Ted Murphy said:

It was Mid A and I felt so bad for the shooter. 

I just bought the same base, though for an open gun.  I wanT to gauge my mag to see if it’s any different. 

I shot with the same guy today, he was using 19x mags and has heard they may be the issue.  He's switching to G17 mags

1 hour ago, Malarky112 said:

I shot with the same guy today, he was using 19x mags and has heard they may be the issue.  He's switching to G17 mags

The mag tubes are the same on 19X vs. 17 mags, besides the color. 

The TTI basepads I have are a few years old, so maybe they've made changes since then, but with mine they will consistently not fit the gauge on the latest version of Glock mags (mag on right), but will fit the gauge with older mags like the one on the left here:

ihgpw0C.jpg

Taking my gauge and TT mag to the next monthly match where RM's I've worked with shoot, going to let them give me a yay or nay.  Like I said, I believe I see it fit, I want a more processional opinion.  And this is for the 141.  My Dawson basepads and mags fit with room to spare.

This should not be this hard...

Edited by vluc

16 hours ago, Southpaw said:

The mag tubes are the same on 19X vs. 17 mags, besides the color. 

The TTI basepads I have are a few years old, so maybe they've made changes since then, but with mine they will consistently not fit the gauge on the latest version of Glock mags (mag on right), but will fit the gauge with older mags like the one on the left here:

ihgpw0C.jpg

Good info...thank you, I'll pass it along

• 4 weeks later...