Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 extended uncaptured tungsten guide rod, do I lube it?

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys,

So on the reccomendation of the company that milled my slide, I needed a 15lb recoil spring for my milled gen 5 g34. I figured what the hell if something is worth doing its worth doing right so I went with the glock store, extended g34 heavy tungsten gen 5 uncaptured 15lb spring guide rod. Now I am wondering is it like an oem recoil spring that doesn't require lube or should I be adding a light coat of gun oil to it?

It gets here tomorrow, I have tended to avoid glock store because I have ordered things that never shipped a couple times but I called to make sure it was in stock and it actually shipped out same day and will be here tomorrow. This gun is dedicated for uspsa carry optics and is my first time with an aftermarket guide rod. I went with the glock store because I saw alot of positive reviews as well as some other threads on here mentioning how well it worked for others. So if you have any other tips and tricks I am all ears

Thanks guys

I run a Jentra uncaptured and when I clean my gun, I just put a drop on my finger and wipe it. So just a thin film. 
No issues in countless rounds. 

I don’t put much lube on my Glock in general. 

My experience with GS tungsten guide rod was that it had a very coarse finish. Chucked it in the drill press and sanded with 2k grit sandpaper and blue magic which made a huge difference cycling the gun. Because of their flat wire spring I use a little oil to help reduce friction. Won't hurt a thing.

45 minutes ago, jubi351 said:

My experience with GS tungsten guide rod was that it had a very coarse finish. Chucked it in the drill press and sanded with 2k grit sandpaper and blue magic which made a huge difference cycling the gun. Because of their flat wire spring I use a little oil to help reduce friction. Won't hurt a thing.

Good idea Jubi351, thanks.

1 hour ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

Also as one poster mentioned the glock store guide rod may have a coarse finish? The pictures make it look pretty dang smooth. If mine is also coarse would some flitz polish do any harm?

That, or even toothpaste should work fine.

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I use Mobil 1 car oil on all metal guide rods. Two small drops and spread it with your fingers or a Q-tip. Thanks, Eric

Awesome, I'll probably use a drop of hoppes gun oil on it then and spread it out with my fingers like I do the barrel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I’ve always lubed my guide rods in all my competition guns, which includes 2011s and glocks. The only time a Glock could potentially have issues running with too much lube is if it gets in the striker channel. Personally I lube my glocks heavily and have never had a single issue. I have seen plenty of glocks have stovepipes and other issues due to the guns being run dry. Running guns with minimal oil is never a good idea in my opinion. I have probably shot 60 or 70k through glocks with this method and have never had a single issue from it. The people saying they run theirs dry don’t shoot enough to know any better IMO.