Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data for .45ACP 123 gr LHP....

Dranoel

I have some .45ACP 123 gr lead HP bullets from Straight Shooters but cannot find any load data on anything even remotely this light. They do not have load data on their site. I have +p cases, CCI 300 primers and a choice of AA#5, AA#7 or Vihta vouri N340 powders on hand.

Anyone have any experience loading these or anything similar? Any suggestions on loads based on 155 gr LSWC? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, you can use data for heavier bullets of the same construction.
Must admit, never heard of 45 Auto bullets that light.

If they make bullets that light, someone has used them (though I expect cowboy action shooting in 45 Colt more than in 45 Auto).

Edited by noylj

Those gotta be short unless they have a huge hollow point. Found some loads for copper bullets that they were using like 7.3 gr of Unique but that was also for about 1400 FPS. I too would use 155 loads to start with. Will be interesting to hear how they shoot. 

19 hours ago, Farmer said:

Those gotta be short unless they have a huge hollow point. Found some loads for copper bullets that they were using like 7.3 gr of Unique but that was also for about 1400 FPS. I too would use 155 loads to start with. Will be interesting to hear how they shoot. 

DSCN1441.JPG

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, Farmer said:

Looks like the old Speer 200g “flying ashtray”. 😀

200 gr Flying Ashtray is on the left, 250 gr XTP is on the right. Large pistol primer for comparison, it fits in the Flying Ashtray cavity.

flyingashtray.jpg2.JPG.024bc7257eb11a0f6d3168eb20e34853.JPGflyingashtray.jpg1.JPG.b761f6a6267e61f469fc4e6eab95c533.JPG

What is the use case for such a light hollow point?

They would open easily at lower vel and transfer all the energy to the target. In the 80’s when those were plentiful I had some loaded up to about 1200 fps in my 45 Colt. My brother worked at the landfill and someone had their freezer die and they hauled all the meat up there so we had all kinds or “targets”.  There was a huge roast that was around 12-15 pounds that was the testbed. Sitting at the front, it took 3 rounds from my brothers 357 mag to roll the roast off of a 55 gal drum. It took 1 shot from the 45 with those 200g “ashtrays” and it literally picked it up and tossed the roast two feet behind the drum.