Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damaging a brand new truck

RangerTrace

Just bought a 2021 GMC Denali HD, Black Diamond Edition in celebration of my retirement from DPS and new job with the  Sheriff's Office.  I have a house built in 1984 with a very standard size garage and the truck fits in the garage.  Go downtown Fort Worth today to do HR stuff for my new job and ATTEMPT to park in the parking garage..........I now have 2K worth of damage on the top of the cab from the 6'8" warning device......who would have thought a parking garage entrance would be shorter than my own residential garage.  Ruined my week.

Sorry to hear it brother. You're just used to the Rangers. Everything is bigger. Must be a bunch of midgets driving mini coopers in the sheriff's dept. 

That would definitely put a damper on my day. Related story, I was parking in a hospital garage years ago and forgot I was driving my brother work van. The roof racks hit the same sign you hit and I stopped. The parking lot guy came running out and said why did you stop. I pointed up and said I was going to back out. However, by that time I had 4 cars behind me. So I put the van in reverse and told the parking lot guy to go back and tell them to back up, nobody moved and in fact they all start honking. So them I told him he can stand behind my van and catch the roof racks so they won’t hit the car behind or I can take 20 minutes removing them. He chooses the first option. People are so rude was the lesson I got from that one. Later the doctor ask what my stress level was! I said not bad and told him the story. He was shocked but not surprised. Good luck with your repairs and at least now it’s officially broken in.

Edited by quiller

My truck doesn't sit up that high, but I worry everytime I go under one of those damn things. 

Years ago, in a company van, I was told it would fit through the car wash...said it had been done numerous times before...and it had...in the other, identical company van...without the roof rack. So, in the middle of the automatic car wash, the guy that swore it would fit and myself, had to take the roof rack off the van...couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. 

47 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

My truck doesn't sit up that high, but I worry everytime I go under one of those damn things. 

Years ago, in a company van, I was told it would fit through the car wash...said it had been done numerous times before...and it had...in the other, identical company van...without the roof rack. So, in the middle of the automatic car wash, the guy that swore it would fit and myself, had to take the roof rack off the van...couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. 

Yeah, I guess I'm glad I didn't make it past the security arm where the concrete would have wedged me in there.  On a positive note, unless you are standing in the bed for driving an 18 wheeler, you can't see the damage.   So, I'm just going to save up the cash and pay to have it repaired rather than use my insurance.  

IMG_6672.jpg

34 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Yeah, I guess I'm glad I didn't make it past the security arm where the concrete would have wedged me in there.  On a positive note, unless you are standing in the bed for driving an 18 wheeler, you can't see the damage.   So, I'm just going to save up the cash and pay to have it repaired rather than use my insurance.  

IMG_6672.jpg

I measured my garage...6'11"

5 hours ago, EEH said:

That’s one purty truck Trace. I would be so dam mad I’d get a headache.

It cut me deep.  Thankfully I have a check coming for 355 hours of unused vacation.  That should take care of the 2k body shop bill, get me a bed cover and still have 7K to put in savings.  NOT what I wanted to use it for, but at least its there.

48 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

It cut me deep.  Thankfully I have a check coming for 355 hours of unused vacation.  That should take care of the 2k body shop bill, get me a bed cover and still have 7K to put in savings.  NOT what I wanted to use it for, but at least its there.

That extra $7k would go far for a supercharger...just sayin'....

That really sucks man. 
my friends keep telling me I need to put a 6” lift on my new Ram Rebel, and low overhangs is my rebuttal back to them. 
Awesome timing on that vacation check though, so things will work out in the end. 

Probably won't make you feel better but I took my regular sized GMC van into a parking garage in Houston a few years ago. Easily fits in a standard garage, under the height sign at the entrance and every other parking garage but this one was exceptionally low on the upper floors and the van had a very low roof rack. The garage ceiling was high enough but not the bare fluorescent lights. Took out a whole floor of lights before I realized the cloud behind me was breaking lights as there was little or no feeling of impact. Good news - no roof damage to the van.

Yeah, that sucks.  I buffed out 60% of the damage yesterday and ordered some touchup paint.  I will have it repaired, eventually.  But, since I can't see it, it's going to be after some other, more important purchases and savings.  At least the rodents some seem to like GMCs!! 

You would think a Texan parking garage would be truck friendly.

Glad to read that the damage is relatively minor.  I have a Jeep that had a roof rack and 4" of lift on 33's.  My spotter couldn't figure out what I was hung up on.  Turns out I snagged the roof rack on a limb while he was looking at the rocks I was crawling on.