Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Axil Ear Pro

mniels

I have been looking for some reasonably priced, in ear electronic ear pro.  Especially for during the summer months when wearing over ear protection for hours on end at a match is tantamount to self torture.

I shoot primarily steel challenge, and depending on the acoustics of the bay I am shooting in, I can have a pretty hard time hearing the shots hitting the steel sometimes.  I am sure this has to do with my former career as a professional musician.  As a result I usually need to crank up the volume on my ear pro pretty high.

I have been looking at some of the Axil offerings, but have seen reviews that vary pretty wildly in reference to their quality and functionality.  Anyone out there have some real world experience?

Yes. I owned and returned a pair. They are.... okay. They don't do anything particularly well. I Bought Axil GS Extremes. This is my review left on Amazon.com:

I was bummed after getting these. I wanted to use them for the range as well as bluetooth headphones. They really didn't do either well.

As hearing protection: with the high density foam plugs it was still painfully loud next to just regular production division guns. I never even bothered testing them around open division guns. I question the claimed 29 dB NRR. I have other plugs that are 29 dB NNR and it's dead quiet in comparison. The active ear-pro works and gives true hearing for each ear. However on the lowest volume setting it's a bit loud. I wish I could have been able to turn them down more.

As bluetooth headphones: They have a hollow tinny sound. If you have the hearing protection plugs installed they do a great job noise cancelling.

Using both: If you use the active ear pro and the bluetooth you will get a terrible buzz/hum. It would seem they didn't do a good job insulating the active ear-pro circuit from RF interference.

I used the 30-day money back guarantee and sent mine back.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, Reds_Dot said:

Yes. I owned and returned a pair. They are.... okay. They don't do anything particularly well. I Bought Axil GS Extremes. This is my review left on Amazon.com:

I was bummed after getting these. I wanted to use them for the range as well as bluetooth headphones. They really didn't do either well.

As hearing protection: with the high density foam plugs it was still painfully loud next to just regular production division guns. I never even bothered testing them around open division guns. I question the claimed 29 dB NRR. I have other plugs that are 29 dB NNR and it's dead quiet in comparison. The active ear-pro works and gives true hearing for each ear. However on the lowest volume setting it's a bit loud. I wish I could have been able to turn them down more.

As bluetooth headphones: They have a hollow tinny sound. If you have the hearing protection plugs installed they do a great job noise cancelling.

Using both: If you use the active ear pro and the bluetooth you will get a terrible buzz/hum. It would seem they didn't do a good job insulating the active ear-pro circuit from RF interference.

I used the 30-day money back guarantee and sent mine back.

Thanks for the info.  After doing some research I think I am going to go with one of the Peltor models.  The one that does not have the charging case is about the same price as the Axils.  I am not using them for more than 5 hours or so at a match, so having to plug in a cable to charge them isn't a deal breaker for me, and well worth saving $150 bucks.  Apparently that is the only difference between the two.

You might want to look at the 3M EEP-100 (~$120 on Amazon).  Used with the Skull Screw tips, the noise reduction is very good.  There are 3 loudness settings; I would call them quiet, normal and loud.  The audio isn't great, but it does the job; muting and recovery are quick.  I've worn them for hours continuously with no fatigue, and none of the shut-in feeling that comes with good conventional NRR.  These are simple ear protection, and there are other 3M models with additional features at significantly higher cost.