Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I get a recoil spring for RIA 1911A2?

Obvious

I ordered a 13# chrome silicon recoil spring from wilson combat and it was too small (diameter wise) to fit onto my guide rod. I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on where to order from. 

You probably bought a flat wire recoil spring which does require a smaller diameter guide rod (and perhaps a special plug, not sure on that one).

Stick to round recoil springs and you should be good to go with any brand.  Just double check for coil bind after installing but before you shoot the gun. 

8 hours ago, N3WWN said:

You probably bought a flat wire recoil spring which does require a smaller diameter guide rod (and perhaps a special plug, not sure on that one).

Stick to round recoil springs and you should be good to go with any brand.  Just double check for coil bind after installing but before you shoot the gun. 

Thank you so much! That does seem to be my problem, I appreciate the advice. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 5:08 AM, Obvious said:

I ordered a 13# chrome silicon recoil spring from wilson combat and it was too small (diameter wise) to fit onto my guide rod. I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on where to order from. 

I have the short, small diameter guide rod if you are interested.  Also would be interested in the 13# spring if you want to sell it or trade for a full size spring.

I just wanted to update for any having this problem, you need a regular round wire recoil spring. The flat wire spring had too small of a diameter but the other kind worked perfectly fine.