Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedlip stuck at bottom of basepad

yekcoh

Shot 2021 NAZC. 2nd stage in, my mag that performed flawlessly for a year decided to malfunction at a major match. I'm not even surprised because these things do happen at major matches. The follower was stuck at the bottom of my glock basepad causing me 7+ seconds to clear.

7+ second sequence went like this

After mag change and first shot fire, the trigger was pressed, nothing, slide was cycled, sight picture, trigger pull again, nothing, slide, slide locked, saw bullets, dropped slide, sight picture, pull trigger, ok I'm f*#ked, slide locked, felt the bullets wiggle, mag change, drop slide, resume...

Dumpstered this stage then went on to win 3 stages for the day. 

Has this happened to anyone?

IMG_6273.jpeg

Edited by yekcoh

Not terribly uncommon; how was that mag set up? I’m assuming either PCC or carry optics?

Let’s assume it was a glock mag. Take a brand new razor blade. Carve a bevel in the polymer around the bottom the body. Finish by smoothing with one of the wife’s nail files. Basically turn it into a tiny magwell so there’s nothing square for the follower to hang on as it slides back up into the tube. Common practice on glock mags.

If the parts are steel? Do something similar but use a sanding drum on a dremel, if possible.

I also sand/file a bevel on the bottom  corners of my followers to make it easier to push them into the extension while loading... but the ability to smoothly empty the mag during a stage is somewhat more important.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Not terribly uncommon; how was that mag set up? I’m assuming either PCC or carry optics?

Let’s assume it was a glock mag. Take a brand new razor blade. Carve a bevel in the polymer around the bottom the body. Finish by smoothing with one of the wife’s nail files. Basically turn it into a tiny magwell so there’s nothing square for the follower to hang on as it slides back up into the tube. Common practice on glock mags.

If the parts are steel? Do something similar but use a sanding drum on a dremel, if possible.

I also sand/file a bevel on the bottom  corners of my followers to make it easier to push them into the extension while loading... but the ability to smoothly empty the mag during a stage is somewhat more important.

Yeah my buddy also suggested carving the bottom edge. It's just strange that it happened after these years. Anyway, I will do just that to prevent future malf. Thanks