Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs CO

usmc1974

19 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Stage Design is awful in this country. Back in UK and Europe they used the 3-2-1 ratio for many of the graded matches and higher. The emphasis over there was for more stages, in USA it’s more rounds.

We had small 8-10 round stages with movement, medium stages (usually around 12-18 shots) with lots of options.

I used to design stages in USA, but got fed up with MD’s telling me to add a a few more targets to get the round count up. 

Round-count is everything in USPSA, especially at L1 matches. Which is why you see so many 8 shot arrays.

Last year the guys that ran A8 did this and I thought the match was great. Same guy is running it again and I'm sure it'll be the same way. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/8/2021 at 9:49 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I'm crazy, but I'd like to of seen Prod and CO be 15. Then they would be the same other than the optic. I'd of also been cool with them keeping the 45 oz weight limit. Then they could keep the flashlight rule if they wanted. This would get rid of the silly meme guns that weight 62 oz and need the slide lightened to make weight.

Whether that weight helps or hurts the shooter doesn't really matter that much. It's the idea that our sport is literally becoming a joke that kind of bugs me. Between constant rule changes, silly gear we use, and president that goes bat s#!t on occasion it's now more respectable to be a IDPA shooter. 

I would love this (15 round limit) as the P365XL with 15 round mag would be so fun to run in CO. 

20 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Once carry optics stabilized I think it draw people into shooting open. 
It kinda seems like a logical step for those that want to shoot fast and use a dot 

I think one of the reasons CO is growing so fast  is for people like me, for concealment everyday on the street, I carry a glock 19 with a Halosun 507 and a 15-round magazine. And that is what they want to practice/play with. To be honest I don't know why there is a 10-round limit in production anymore anyway 90% of guns that come from the factory come with  high-capacity magazines

Edited by usmc1974

For sure. The tactical world is all about dots on tricked out carry guns right now. 
your Definitely the reason participation is up. 
The 10 round limit I still like for production. If not just for the gamer aspect. Stage plans and reloads need to be on point.
Not many people can mag change like a solid production shooter.
There impressive 

I started shooting a dot on my Shadow in 2013 because I could no longer see sights, was forced into open.  lobbied for production optics. What we got was CO for Tupperware. Now that the weight limit is gone we see growth of CO.

I would disagree, I see guys I see in CO are mostly running full size 320 legions, Shadows and Tanfo's. A few Canik's and G34's but all full size. It's pretty rare to see someone rocking carry gear. So I don't think the growth has much to do with what people carry. It's hi-cap 9mm. Cheap and fun and people like it. 

5 or 6 years ago I would have thought CO was dumb, but now that my eyesight has degraded to the point that shooting iron sights just isn’t a lot of fun anymore, but I still like shooting my G34 with my Production belt rig, I can see the draw to CO.  

i “need” the red dot to have fun shooting, but I don’t want an Open pistol. I’m liking CO more and more each day. 

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I would disagree, I see guys I see in CO are mostly running full size 320 legions, Shadows and Tanfo's. A few Canik's and G34's but all full size. It's pretty rare to see someone rocking carry gear. So I don't think the growth has much to do with what people carry. It's hi-cap 9mm. Cheap and fun and people like it. 

Same here

To add to the comparison between open and CO, The OH state match had 76 CO, 72 Open, and 47 Limited, with everyone else way behind.

Area 5 (in September) so far has 78 CO, 61 Open, and 66 Limited shooters.

CO dominates in numbers locally here (SW OH)

13 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Same here

To add to the comparison between open and CO, The OH state match had 76 CO, 72 Open, and 47 Limited, with everyone else way behind.

Area 5 (in September) so far has 78 CO, 61 Open, and 66 Limited shooters.

CO dominates in numbers locally here (SW OH)

Number for upcoming matches in my area.

A8 - Open = 121. CO = 166, Lim = 101

VA state Open = 56, CO = 126, Lim = 50

Car Classic Open = 40, CO = 70, Lim = 34

Last local club #1 match Open = 8, CO = 22, Lim = 13

Last local club #2 match Open = 3, CO = 32, Lim = 10

So, CO dominates here too. 

16 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

CO is the poor man's Open, and its ideal for old farts like myself with poor eyes. With modern CO/RMR's, its hard to beat for the price.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, Zincwarrior said:

CO is the poor man's Open, and its ideal for old farts like myself with poor eyes. With modern CO/RMR's, its hard to beat for the price

I have also heard it referred to as trailer Park open or trailer trash open...lol

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...

I see open surging in my area - Carry Optics is a gateway drug to Open.  I'm personally falling to it's siren song and if you asked me last year I would have told you I'm never shooting open.  Well.  here we are.  

I went from production and limited to carry optics last year, then found an amazing deal on an open gun and I was hooked. I didn't like the way my CO gun felt compared to an open gun so I got rid of it and went further down the open hole. Lots more guys in my club would go open but it's a serious investment.

12 hours ago, Boot said:

Even PCC?

pcc is the definition of an imposter division. a rifle at a pistol match has no place. 75 yard shots with a pistol take skill and practice. 75 yard shots with a 16 in rifle take nothing and you can clean texas stars or plate racks in no time. 

13 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

you just have to make sure your ammo isnt s#!t. after your ammo is squared away your gun will do its job

100% agree 

19 hours ago, ArrDave said:

I see open surging in my area - Carry Optics is a gateway drug to Open.  I'm personally falling to it's siren song and if you asked me last year I would have told you I'm never shooting open.  Well.  here we are.  

Two years into carry optics and still no desire or interest in open. 

Don't see myself ever leaving the easy button that CO is.